Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is this Chilli recipe considered Vegan ?
Posted by: texasnewf ()
Date: January 10, 2012 10:14PM

I found this Chilli recipe online and was wondering since it has cooked quinoa in it would it still be considered vegan ? I'm thinking not, or at least not Raw vegan... just curious ..

I'm new to eating raw and either way .. I'm going to be eating lots of this chilli because it's healthy and tastes great ! Let's face it, when you let 5 guys from your work here in Texas taste it and they like it.. that's proof that it's good !

Vegetarian Chilli
-----------------------------------------
3 ripe Roma tomatoes
1/2 medium onion
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic or more to taste
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoon Chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon of cilantro - or 8-10 fresh leaves
a pinch of cayenne power
Sea salt to taste

Blend in a food processor until you get the texture you desire, then add in a cup of fully cooked Quinoa and stir (pronounced keen-wa). Now ready to serve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this Chilli recipe considered Vegan ?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 10, 2012 10:30PM

Vegan simply denotes no animal products so yes, this is vegan. It's not raw with the addition of the cooked quinoa though, if you were aiming for totally raw.

Date: January 10, 2012 10:44PM

Thanks coco ! I'm learning, slowly .... this forum is great !

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 14, 2012 06:15PM

Quinoa is so easy to sprout, why not try it sprouted instead of cooked? Just soak in water until it sprouts. Overnight would probably be good if I remember correctly. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'm gonna try it.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 16, 2012 11:36AM

Well, my quinoa disappeared so I sprouted some lentils. (Well, they didn't sprout so I soaked them.) For anyone who may be interested:

sprouted lentil
tomato small diced
onion diced fine
fresh cilantro
some McCormick Hickory BBQ Buffalo seasoning mix

Delicious! Thank you texasnewf for the great idea!

Date: January 17, 2012 01:48AM

Rawalice,

I didn't even know you could sprout quinoa or lentils but it makes sense now I think about it smiling smiley I am so lame ... like I said in the beginning, I'm still learning and not shy about letting people know how much of a novice I am at it....

Your recipe sounds interesting.. I will try it ... going to get me some McCormick Hickory BBQ Buffalo seasoning mix at the market tomorrow. Do you have specifics on how much sprouted lentils ? and how much tomato and onion ? or just 1 onion and 1 tomato ?

Thanks

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 31, 2012 02:35PM

It sounds like a very good recipe. There's no rule that says you have to be 100% raw. Brendan Brazier a fantastic raw athlete eats the sort of food with cooked quinoa such as you have posted.

[www.brendanbrazier.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables