Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw sunflower seed tortilla recipe
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2012 11:49PM

One of the things that's so hard about feeding kids is the lack of bread. I have to send them to school with some sort of lunch. They're fussy and they have very little time to eat (like 20 minutes, who can eat lunch in 20 minutes?!) so sandwiches or wraps are acceptable to them, easy, quick and filling. I just found this recipe online for sunflower seed tortillas that I'm going to try, I'll use a combo of sunflower and pumpkin seed though. And I think I'll leave out the hing, blech. A pinch of onion powder would be a good substitute for that. I'll use the chia seed since I think that flax oxidizes too quickly when ground to be good for dehydrator recipes. Also, I've read that carrot pulp makes an excellent, soft tender and tasty bread, I might try mixing some of that in too or using it to replace some (or all) the corn.
This will be a chance to juice with the kids, not something we do very often.

2 cups sunflower seeds
1 bag frozen organic corn (or 3 1/4 cups fresh kernels)
2 cups ground flax or chia seed
two pinches of hing
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 or so Tablespoons of sea salt
3 cups of water
Blend in high-powered blender until smooth spread onto teflex sheets, dehydrate overnight, remove from teflex, flip and dehydrate until still malleable but not gooey.

Let me know if you try this out or if you've got other kid friendly tortilla or bread recipes to share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 11:50PM by coco.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw sunflower seed tortilla recipe
Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:36PM

i made some tortillas the other day, 54 of them, and it was a similar recipe(i didn't use a recipe, made it up.) basically I didn't use any corn. it was about the same ratios. soaked sunseeds, and a whole red pepper in each blender. sunseeds and flax with a little olive oil. actually i did 2 versions and forgot the oil in one and they were just as good and just as flexible. I highly recommend the red pepper as veggie matter in the tortillas! i used lots of mexican seasonings and they were soooooo good! you could make them without the seasonings and do other stuff on there there.

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: April 22, 2012 05:22PM

I'm definitely going to have to try this out. Sunflower seeds would make an almost magic taste to try to work with for tortilla or maybe even pizza crust. And I sincerely cannot bear to use spring roll rice wraps with Mexican food ever again. It's a stark abomination.

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 23, 2012 10:37PM

I would get a dehydrator just for that recipe, Coco! Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables