Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruit and veg pulp leftovers
Posted by: chat ()
Date: May 23, 2012 06:28AM

Hi guys, I'm looking for recipes to use the fruit and veg pulp leftovers after juicing. I hate to waste stuff especially pulp so full of goodies, that's why I mostly blend things but sometimes I just want a glass of fresh juice in the morning and it would be great if I could utilise the pulp in the lunch salad for example.

But most of what I can find over internet requires dehydrator. I don't have one and decided not to buy it, hoping eventually to eat more simple 'closer to nature' meals. So I'm looking for recipes involving pulp which do not require dehydrator, or perhaps a book with such recipes? So many people juice, there must be something out there!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 06:30AM by chat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit and veg pulp leftovers
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 23, 2012 01:44PM

A juice bar/restaurant I worked at used to use the crumbly pulp from beets and carrots to garnish soups and salads. This only works if it's been juiced alone though, greens are weird and fruit gets brown and tastes bruised.
Aside from that, you can try mixing some pulp into nut/seed pate for a bit of flavour and colour or adding pulp to smoothies.

Date: May 24, 2012 07:33AM

Cheers coco, nut pate is a good idea! I've also found this recipe involving green pulp:

2 cups leftover green juice pulp (any you like! I had kale, cos lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, parsley and lemon.)
¼ large or ½ small avocado
1 tsp dried dill
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp chilli
½ tsp cumin
1/8 tsp sea salt
Pinch of nutmeg
1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
2 tbsp fresh coriander
Juice of ½ lemon

Sauce:
1 recipe of Carrot Cheese Sauce (without cumin)
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp flax oil
1 small handful of basil

Place the juice pulp in a food processor with the lemon juice and spices and process for a few seconds until it combines. Add the avocado and process. You don’t even need a food processor for this. You can simply mash it all together with your hands.

Form the mixture into patties and set aside.

Blend all sauce ingredients together.

Serve the burgers on top of a big salad like I did, or place a patty in a cos/romaine lettuce leaf or cabbage leaf. Or place in a whole grain bun (ideally gluten free and/or sprouted). Spread with carrot sauce and add any other vegetables and toppings of choice. Tomato, onion, olives, pickles, mustard, sprouts and lettuce would be perfect!

The recipe for carrot cheese is linked on the page: [www.caseylorraine.com]

Please add some other pulp recipes if you know some!

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 24, 2012 04:04PM

add flax seeds, salt, seasonings for crackers......

Date: May 25, 2012 08:09AM

RAWLION Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> add flax seeds, salt, seasonings for
> crackers......

Can't do crackers, the whole idea it must not be dehydrated!

Date: June 28, 2012 12:49PM

Dessert sauce is a good idea, perhaps add to the ice-cream??

And mini carrot cake of course, from the carrot juice pulp! Here's one I found which does not require dehydration:

Carrot cake
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
4 cups of carrot pulp
2 cups shredded coconut
1 lb dates
5 dried figs 
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cardamon 
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup carrot juice
some crushed walnuts

In food processor combine dates, figs, spices, coconut and enough juice to blend well (DON'T use more than 1/2 cup, less if that works). This will come out like a really thick, sticky cake batter. 

Add this mixture to the carrot pulp, add the walnuts, and mix well with a spoon, DON'T put back in the processor. Press into a square pyrex pan and frost with your favourite frosting. Finally put in refrigerator to set for at least an hour.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 12:53PM by chat.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 29, 2012 10:21PM

see what you think. I'd reconsider and get the dehydrator, make manna bread, dried tomatoes, trail mix, etc. It's a great extra option to freezing for preserving food. energy cost is relatively low. If you have a budget limit, that's fine. It may actually wind up saving you money in the long run depending on your spending habits of course. I routinely put my almond pulp into my manna bread, veggie pulp in to flax or chia crackers. My preferred solution. best.

Paul

owning both the Sedona and the Excalibur, I'd say wait , see what your budget is and get the Sedona. Excalibur is awesome too but comes with a bit of noise and isn't either BPA or as user friendly. Best. And yeah I know you and I have had our moments in the past. This is offered heart felt and sincere. Best to you.

Date: June 30, 2012 07:37AM

Hi Paul - I see what you mean, and I might reconsider, possibly. The problem is not in the money, so if i do reconsider i'll make sure i get the best one.

I haven't tried dehydrating anything yet, but I've tried a buckwheat-crust pizza in a raw restaurant and it was very delicious. And recently I noticed, sometimes right after eating a meal I feel unsatisfied, and crave a piece of bread. Which is strange as I had given up eating bread years before I became raw! Currently I try to overcome these cravings by eating a mushroom.

My problem with dehydrating is the calorie restriction diet in which I sort of believe and which I try to follow. Because of the limited amount of food I can eat during the day, the choice to eat raw or dehydrated food becomes akin to the choice to eat raw or cooked food. I mean this:

-some cooked foods are not unhealthy, but since heat often destroys some goodness in the food, it is preferable to eat these foods raw.
-most dehydrated foods are not unhealthy, but since oxidation often destroys some goodness in the food, it is preferable to eat these foods raw.

This is a general picture, I'm aware of enzymes being destroyed by heat (which Ive not made up my mind yet whether to believe or not in the relevance of those enzymes), and I'm also aware that sometimes cooking and dehydrating actually improves or makes available the "healthiness" of the food.

But generally, because of the limited calories I can consume, I just figured I would better spend them on fresh produce. At the moment we have a fan-assisted oven which goes low enough temperature-wise to substitute dehydrator on those rare occasions when I might like to create something. Also once we move into a bigger house I might still get a dehydrator for these rare occasions. Alternatively, I might reconsider my calorie restriction diet and get a dehydrator to use more often!smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 07:43AM by chat.

Date: July 27, 2012 09:10PM

I thought I quote this recipe here too, to have the pulp-no-dehydration recipes in one place. So it's carrot truffles, and they are yum:

2c.carrot pulp
1c.carob
1/2c raisins,soaked
1t.pumpkin pie spice
combine ingredients.roll into balls and chill.u may wish to add a dollop of your favorite coconut icing.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 09:11PM by chat.

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: December 20, 2012 02:52AM

If you have an efficient juicer, other than fiber, is there any worthwhile nutrition left in the pulp>

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 11, 2013 08:24PM

Use in compost pile?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables