Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

From my rare, out-of-print (apparently) raw un-cookbook
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 08, 2012 05:02PM

"Light Eating for Survival" [www.amazon.com]

Carob Fudge:

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup carob powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Cream the honey, oil, and vanilla together. Add carob and nuts. Press into a flat pan and chill. Cut into squares.

I am marveling that in the '70s they used coconut oil. I have seen recipes in here using chia seeds! The original printing was 1977. Talk about being ahead of her time...

I have had this book for years and just saw on Amazon that there are no copies available. I am surprised that they didn't keep up with the printings because mine is the 5th printing and it was August 1982. So they were selling like hotcakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: From my rare, out-of-print (apparently) raw un-cookbook
Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: June 08, 2012 06:18PM

BW,

Thanks. For those of you who want to see the cover on Amazon more clearly, press your control Ctrl and "+" sign several times. Press "Ctrl" and "-" to make the screen go back after you are done.

BW, agree that does seem odd, though I have found one vendor who may still have old inventory. [www.abebooks.com]

I say "may" because he doesn't say " out of stock" but a lot of these outfits are when you dig deeper.

Kref

Date: June 08, 2012 06:20PM

[www.abebooks.com]

There is apparently one copy available at $13.98. And after that it goes up to $30 and $100 for used copies pretty quickly. Go figure.

I just bought the one for $13.98, call me selfish. I prefer to think of it as self-interested. winking smiley

Kref

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 06:33PM by Krefcenz.

Date: June 08, 2012 06:29PM

Wow, thanks for the head's up! I am glad there are other places than Amazon to buy and sell books. Matter of fact, I see that they buy back textbooks and other types. I have a bunch on my hands and Amazon isn't appealing to me in this area.

(By the way, the link I provided works fine for me. I wonder what's up...)

Date: June 08, 2012 06:30PM

Thanks, BW.

I think I didn't get a new one. Just an inexpensive used one is good condition. That's ok. 78 is a long time ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 06:32PM by Krefcenz.

Date: June 08, 2012 06:44PM

Yeah, I just opened an account with them. There are other out of prints that I want. Maybe I can get a good price.

Date: June 08, 2012 06:49PM

I can't remember where I bought mine--I think it was a book fair and I paid only .50 or so. Love it when it happnes!

Posted by: Ifeelgood ()
Date: June 09, 2012 12:31AM

I grew up with that book on my Mom's bookshelf!

I don't remember any particular recipes that she made from it. I think it just had all the usual raw recipes you find everywhere.

But the pictures are always interesting to look at, this site shows one of them and has a recipe from the book for "Mild Laxative Balls".:
[solarovensolaroven.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 12:34AM by Ifeelgood.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 09, 2012 01:00AM

I'm pretty sure we had this book too. My mom might still have it, she's such a packrat that I'm never surprised to find the things from our childhood still around. I'll look...

Date: June 13, 2012 12:12AM

Banana Who,

I just got my copy from Abe's!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Gosh.. this is so wonderful. I really appreciate your sharing both the recipe but esp the book. Thanks!!!

Krefcenz

Date: June 13, 2012 12:49AM

Krefcenz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Banana Who,
>
> I just got my copy from Abe's!!! Thank you thank
> you thank you!!!! Gosh.. this is so wonderful.
> I really appreciate your sharing both the recipe
> but esp the book. Thanks!!!
>
> Krefcenz

Awesome! I made the recipe I posted today. It was pretty good!

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 13, 2012 11:33AM

I bet it's yummy but way too rich! I wonder is there a book which concentrates on "light" raw recipes? Including deserts!

I'm currently looking through d'acampo 'italian diet' (it's a cookbook but plenty of ideas to non-cook), and it's really nice to have a bunch of low-fat low-calories recipes collected together in one place.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: June 13, 2012 05:48PM

My bf really liked the carob fudge. Putting it in the fridge solidifies it because of the coconut oil but I found it difficult to cut it into squares after it hardened. So I left it out and sure enough, it because too sticky (the honey doesn't help matters).

My advice is to form balls and then roll in shredded coconut (which I added to the "batter"winking smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables