Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bread recipe problems...
Posted by: Jesaroj ()
Date: October 20, 2006 09:32PM

Hi everyone. I have, like most everyone else here I'm sure, been trying to get a good bread substitute. I've been reluctantly buying the sprouted "bible bread" from whole foods/earthfare but I know it's cooked at too high a temp. for my comfort. I know that I won't be able to re-create a loaf of sandwich bread, but maybe single pieces of bread. I've tried some flat breads that had too strong of a flavor. I made Alyssa's pizza dough (the 1st variation) and it had too many flavors going on...I would like a bready-type recipe that is pretty neutral in taste like normal bread. I am ready to develop something myself, but thought if I asked here first, I may get a head start.

My husband wondered about using a yeast in the mixture and then dehydrating it. We'd probably use oat berries for the flour and some other seeds, but I fear the yeast would just make a terrible mess. I know that a pretty good texture can be gotten with flax, but my husband doesn't like the taste of too much flax in one recipe and it wouldn't be airy at all.

Has anyone experimented with dehydrating something using yeast? I am pretty sure it wouldn't work, but had to ask!

If anyone has a mild bread-type recipe using a vegetable base, I'd love to try it.

Has anyone made Alyssa's burger buns? Are they really heavy? Are they any good?

Thanks so much!
~Jessica

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bread recipe problems...
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 20, 2006 10:48PM

I've played around with making rising flax bread here are my findings:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

You can probably substitute oat for flax (of just a mix of both, flax is good for getting things to stick together). I used baking soda as the rising agent, I think yeast could work as well, but might present some problems (like feeding it, also killing it, since it will still be alive when you eat it - this might be a problem for some).

You might have some luck modifying other recipes to have less flavors.

Ian.

Posted by: jonesy8844 ()
Date: October 21, 2006 04:34PM

I've read about buckwheat grouts soaked in water but I haven't tried it yet. I just enjoy it as muesli

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: October 22, 2006 10:53PM

If a recipe calls for 4 cups of sprouted buckwheat does that mean:

After I sprout the buckwheat and get 4 resulting cups use that for recipe.

OR....

Does it mean start with 4 cups and the result will be 4 cups????????

Confused and would love your help as I would love to be clear on this in the future as it is always around the corner it seems.

Thanks.
carolg

Posted by: Jesaroj ()
Date: October 23, 2006 01:20AM

Thanks, Ian!

Posted by: northernstars ()
Date: November 07, 2006 05:57AM

Usually when a recipe calls for 4 cups buckwheat, sprouted it mean you measure 4 cups of buckwheat and then sprout it.

If it says 4 cups sprouted buckwheat it means that is the amount after sprouting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables