Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Frozen Corn, Peas etc.
Posted by: vanessam888 ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:31PM

I'm new here and I will introduce myself, but in the meantime I have a quick question. When items like corn and peas are not in season, I like to purchase the Whole Foods organic frozen brand. Does anyone happen to know if those are cooked prior to being froze? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frozen Corn, Peas etc.
Posted by: raw artist ()
Date: August 02, 2012 11:21PM

I would assume that they are blanched 1st. A dip in hot water , I don't know at what temperature.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 02, 2012 11:45PM

I don't know about those items--frozen fruit isn't blanched, however I do think limiting frozen items is a good idea. Are you high-raw or 100% or are you just curious about it? I use frozen corn and peas once in a great while, to make a specific dish, but I limit my frozen items. They're just not the same as fresh and besides, do I need to eat corn all the time?

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: August 10, 2012 02:36PM

frozen veggies are dipped in boiling water !!! give it up!!!! they are not raw !!!! try freezing some of your own stuff while its in season!

Posted by: jayelle ()
Date: August 12, 2012 04:23PM

RAWLION, what about frozen fruits? I love eating frozen fruit in the summer and getting it already cut up is convenient. Though if they're boiled a bit too then I would rather just cut them myself. Would be good to know either way.

*hugs and blessings*
jayelle

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 31, 2012 05:19PM

Jayelle, I think the first step is giving up the idea of "convenience." That is an overused word. How difficult is it to freeze fresh blueberries? Even bananas take only a couple of minutes. I peel them and use my hands to break them into chunk and store in plastic containers in the freezer.

I doubt they do anything to preserve the fruits besides simply bagging and freezing. I believe the reason they blanche veggies is to break the cellulose and make it quicker to cook. I could be wrong about that; I am just thinking that is why.

I never can understand how any rational person can go to Whole Food and buy a quart-size plastic container full of watermelon for $7 when even their watermelons are often less than that and would fill several of those same containers!

Posted by: Pixel ()
Date: December 02, 2013 05:40PM

From doing home freezing, fruit is usually ready-to-go into the freezer raw, while it's often suggested that vegetables be steamed. So your best bet is to either eat fresh veggies or freeze 'em yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables