Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

nut or fruit substitutions in recipes?
Posted by: grzelak ()
Date: August 30, 2012 12:06AM

I'm so thankful to have found this community! I'm a newbie to a raw food diet. I have been a vegetarian for a long time, but have recently decided to go raw and see where it takes me - hopefully to great new places!

So far I've just been gathering recipes that look good to eat. I've noticed that a lot of recipes will call for cashews or pitted dates. It seems like they are used frequently as part of bases in recipes?

My question is, why do I see so much of these? Does it have to do with the taste of cashews and dates? Could I substitute dates with figs, or cashews with pistachios?

Re: nut or fruit substitutions in recipes?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 30, 2012 02:37AM

Why not? Obviously there would be differences in flavor but I am curious: do you cook already? Because those of us who cook all the time know that sometimes we have to swap things out. Your question sounds to me like you don't really cook as it is and think everything has to be followed to the letter. No, but you have to consider the properties of each item. Is it more water-rich? Is it higher in fat? What about the cost of the ingredients? Many people enjoy almond milk but raw almonds are usually ordered and expensive, due to the pasteurization laws. Seeds seem to be still raw on most shelves and cheaper than nuts (although pumpkin seeds have sky-rocketed over the past several years).

Posted by: cwallace8282 ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:16PM

Try it out. If you prefer one nut or a certain fruit than what a recipe recommends then go for it.

Experiment with your cooking and test things that look appetizing to you.

Posted by: neetusingraul ()
Date: October 11, 2012 04:12AM

Hi friends,
Greeting to the members of this community.
To get all the latest news and updates about India
please refer the site below.
dainik bhasker

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: November 16, 2012 04:51AM

It really depends on the type of raw food diet the author follows. HCRV authors like Doug Graham won't have so many nut-heavy recipes.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 15, 2012 11:24PM

Instead of dates you can use raisins, goji berries or any dried raw berry really. Raw mulberries are very nice and sweet. Whilst they are not as sweet or as good in texture(some dates such as medjool are what gives the caramel type consistency to many raw dessert recipes).

A substitute for nuts can include seeds such as chia or hemp for those with allergies to nuts. Carob is a good substitute if you cannot tolerate raw cacao, but would like a "chocolate" flavour.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:07AM

I would add that if your reason for substituting (especially nuts) is budget that seeds are a good substitute. I used to use sunflower or pumpkin seeds in place of nuts in many recipes.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: jeanie339 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 07:33PM

I think being open to substituting an ingredient is just being smart and. Creative. Why skip making a recipe just because you don't happen to have one ingrediennt ? Especially if you have another one that may work jusr as well or even better .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables