Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut Oil in Raw Desserts
Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: October 26, 2006 04:38AM

Does anyone else have the same difficulty as I do with melting coconut oil in a good and efficient way? I've tried both the hot water in bowls melting method, and the low flame on the stove top method with little fruitfulness.

And is anyone else having a struggle with getting the sortof melted oil ( if you do manage to melt it without it re-hardening on you) blended appropriately with other ingredients...?

It has been hard getting coconut oil right for my frosting ideas and cake recipes, so much so, that I've given up on it completely this week. I love the taste of it, and know that coconut oil can create great looking and great tasting foods, but I had to stop playing with it because the frustration I was experiencing was just too much. And I'm great with desserts.

I welcome oil ideas, tips, and all recipe suggestions...

Thanks!

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
courage
Bikini

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut Oil in Raw Desserts
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 26, 2006 07:59PM

the hot water thing should work, yes it is difficult isn't it.. maybe keep it in warm place..on top of stove or dehydrator ..

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 26, 2006 09:02PM

Hi,

I find melting coconut oil relatively easy (cacao oil is trickier) since it melts at such a low temp. Do you live in a (very) cold climate?

The hot water trick works for me. Running the bowl you are melting the oil in under the hot tap to get it nice and warm some it work absorb heat from the hot water helps. But make sure the bowl is dry so you don't end up with water bubbles in your frosting. It's not a quick process, I normally start it off early in the recipe so it will be ready when I need. Also, I don't keep the coconut oil in the fridge, so it's softer to start off with. Melting raw cacao butter takes even longer, but the same theory applies.

Good luck,
Ian.

Posted by: bluejaunte ()
Date: October 27, 2006 07:55PM

do you have a dehydrator? the best way i've found to melt coconut oil (and make sure it doesn't get too warm) is sit it on top of my excalibur while it's running at 105*. doesn't take long at all, and no worries about splashing water into your oil. (the sprouts like it up there too, makes 'em grow like crazy things.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables