Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone have a homemade Tahini recipe??
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 04:40PM

All of the Tahini recipes that I found online had oil in them so was hoping that someone here has been successful making tahini without oil.

I just bought some raw organic sesame seeds (approx 3-4 C.)

Thanks all!

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a homemade Tahini recipe??
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 01, 2013 01:16AM

Food process some tahini with some water? to make it process faster. I notice theer is a difference in tastes with the darker organic sesame seeds than with the white ones. Also you can make black tahini ..Like I have pictured here in a salad dressing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 01:17AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 09, 2013 02:01AM

Thanks CC!

Mindy

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: February 15, 2013 07:00PM

don't add water if you don't want to. if you are going 2 use the stuff relatively quickly, then you could add water to make it smooth out, but tahini is just ground up sesame seeds. You can use a vita mix or whatever to grind the seeds up until they are smooth and creamy. I make tahini based dressings using only sesame seeds and water with lemon, so in this use i use water. just grind em up!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:10PM

Raw Lion, do you soak your seeds first? I made some tahini using unhulled seeds but did not soak them. I always find there to be an unpleasant bitterness with sesame seedssad smiley Whether I buy it in bulk and use right away or buying tahini in jars...

So I took unhulled seeds and grinded them into a powder in a coffee grinder. Then I just used a little water to make a paste. I did add a little olive oil because I was making babaganoush and wanted to add richness to the recipe. I found that the sesame taste was not very pronounced, which was a bit of a bummer. I love the taste of sesame seeds but am wondering if roasting them is what gives dishes that flavor I enjoy. I also remember discussing making almond butter in a masticating juicer and it was suggested that roasting the almonds brings out the oil more...

Posted by: rojersequaria ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:43AM

Grate recipe post.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 17, 2014 09:28PM

Tahini is a good raw dressing from pregnant women. Trust me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables