Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sesame milk
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: October 31, 2006 06:00PM

Could someone please tell me how to make sesame milk? Also, do you sprout them first?

Thanks!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sesame milk
Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: November 07, 2006 04:19PM

In case you have not yet got a recipe:

The way I make sesame milk is to soak approx 2 tablespoons per person (for 1 glass) of whole raw sesame seeds in water overnight and then rinse and strain the seeds.

As it is easy to overconsume fats in nuts and seeds on a raw food diet (e.g. in raw hummus, salad dressings, pates, raw crackers and milks as well as nuts / seeds eaten on there own as a snack etc) I don't use more than that amount now, but I used to.

There are different opinions about how long to soak them, but I wouldn't soak them longer than overnight. If necessary, you can make without soaking.

Then I put the sesame seeds in the blender with just a little pure water and blend. Next I add some more water and blend some more. How much water you add depends on how thick you want the milk to be. Afterwards, I strain the liquid (milk) into a jug. (The pulp could probably be used in something else, especially if you have a dehydrator).

It is best drank straight away, otherwise store in the fridge.

I usually add something to it. So I rinse out the blender and put a little of the sesame milk back in the blender and add some e.g. carob powder / raw cacao powder or nibs/ maca / mesquite meal / ground flax / gogi berries or a combination of some of them. If you want it sweet add raw agave nectar / dates or a banana etc. Then taste test and adjust to your own taste.

I only add mesquite and / or ground flax if I am going to drink it straight away and not if storing it to drink later.

Hope this helps,
John

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: November 11, 2006 01:43AM

Thanks John - it helped a whole bunch!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: rawlife ()
Date: November 16, 2006 12:51AM

this seasame milk is awesome

[www.rawfoods.com]

my vegetarian mother(since she saw what it did for me) says its better than dairy.
we just got a nut milk maker yesterday.

brett

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables