Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Substitute for bread?
Posted by: Hiro ()
Date: March 28, 2013 07:51AM

Hello smiling smiley

I just got started on my high raw diet journey last week, and I'm just loving the lightness I'm feeling every day!

I'm pretty addicted to bread and this will be a hard one to get off of..
I've learned to make raw jam with dates and fruits, so for me this is a good start.
Has anyone tried and succeeded in making bread substitute with raw ingredients?

Any inputs and suggestions will be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Substitute for bread?
Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: May 12, 2013 01:46AM

Sprout raw grains (wheat, rye, whatever), then dehydrate into raw essene bread or "cook" it in the sun.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2013 05:55PM

The sunny raw blog has an amazing selection of recipes, lots of bread substitutes. Its fairly gourmet but can certainly help with transitioning away from those sorts of traditional foods. Good luck!

Posted by: vfowler77 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 01:20PM

I'm new to this, but I was directed to Ezekiel Bread which you can buy in the freezer section at the market. It's made with sprouted grains and no flour. I don't know what long-time raw foodies think of using this though.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 17, 2013 03:27PM

ezekiel bread is cooked therefore true raw foodists would never eat it! sprouting grains then cooking them is like growing crops and then burning them down to the ground!

Date: May 18, 2013 08:39PM

I think some ezekial bread is just dehydrated at low temps. You can always check with the company.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: May 30, 2013 05:59AM

1 c soaked wheat berries
1/2 c sunflower seeds
2 TBS flax
1 TBS agave nectar
tiny bit of salt if you like
1/2 c water

Blend all & dehydrate. Taste is VERY close to regular bread.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: June 02, 2013 11:15AM

At Hippocrates [HHI] in 2010, they gave us sprouted manna bread that you can buy anywhere in any health food store (Nature's Path is name, maybe? Forget.). It's not 100% raw but close to it. I'm gluten-intolerant but I don't feel anything when I eat this bread and I've been eating it regularly for years. Before HHI, I felt guilty but since then, and following their philosophy that you just do the best you can, I eat it guilt-free.

I've tried making every raw bread under the sun (no pun intended <lol), but if it's not something that dries to a crisp like a cracker, anything dehydrated that is supposed to be break-like I can't handle it. I get sick from the off, fermenty flavour not completely dried grains give off. And that's even with the trick of increasing the D's temperature for the first hour or two then reducing to raw vegan temperature after that to try to kill the off-fermenting process. No go.

i.e., when I've made anything bread-like that remains moist, I can swallow it straight out of the D for a little while. But within even half an hour or so of taking out, that fermented-off flavour and smell intensify so that I can barely swallow it down and I stopped trying years ago. And I've actually gotten quite sick! One year, after years of effort and in desperation, I tired of the wasted food and efforts and said to myself, "it's in your mind, just eat it!" and I did. And boy, within a little while I was sick as a dog for the rest of the day! In fact, even the next day I didn't feel well. So I now know when my body isn't lying; my nose and stomach _are_ to be relied upon.

So that manna bread is a great alternative at least until someone comes along with a bread recipe that works for people like me.

Oh, btw, the _only_ dehdyrated sprout break HHI recommended is the RYE BREAD, plain and with nothing else. None of the other ones by this company got their okay. And I'm fine with that. Too many sugars in the other ones.

Good luck!

Date: June 02, 2013 11:23AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think some ezekial bread is just dehydrated at
> low temps. You can always check with the company.

I'm not sure about all Ezekial breads but I called the company about their large sprouted loaf that I bought 4 or 5 years ago and they advised me that their bread was not raw. And sure enough, unlike the Nature's Path manna bread, I can attest to it. The bread I bought had a cooked taste and it was too light in texture even though it is made with sprouts instead of flour. Because of frugality, I did end up eating 2 or 3 slices of this bread before finding someone I could give the rest of the loaf to. But though not as severe, did end u with the same problems that cooked bread gives me (I'm gluten-intolerant). Only Nature's Path seems to be the closest to raw (and Hippocrates Health Institute recommended only the RYE BREAD is the one to eat out of their lineup). That company also confirmed they dehydrate at higher than accepted raw vegan temperatures but I can eat this bread daily without feeling it. I'm sure it does give me problems inside to a small degree but since I don't feel it other than it feeling slightly heavy in my tummy, I'm good with that.

At least, until one day a miracle happens and I stumble upon a recipe for a truly raw moist dehdyrated bread I make that doesn't make me sick! <g>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2013 11:24AM by Diana (Cda).

Posted by: ShelShel ()
Date: August 24, 2013 08:51AM

I do understand Diana's mind set about raw breads. They are not bread in the conventional sense. I realized half my problem was that I was comparing it to cooked breads. When I stopped doing that, I began to look at raw breads differently. What can I make that I enjoy? I very seldom enjoy "mock" versions, but as I make something and consider what about the flavor? Do I like the texture the crunch? How do I feel after I'm done eating? Then it becomes this... I'm never ill feeling after a piece of raw bread. Cooked bread makes me feel bloated. It was then that I began to scour the Internet and many raw food books out there. As raw is it for me in my life, I needed something that would satisfy. I stumbled upon this recipe and even my children love it. Apples, sundried tomatoes, ground flax meal, ground pecans and spices of your choosing. It for me is a great crunch/ chewy texture I was looking for with a very satisfying taste.
Keep seeking and trying if you are new to raw. There are some fabulous raw bread recipes out there. smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2013 12:28PM

ShelShel Wrote:
I stumbled upon this recipe
> and even my children love it. Apples, sundried
> tomatoes, ground flax meal, ground pecans and
> spices of your choosing. It for me is a great
> crunch/ chewy texture I was looking for with a
> very satisfying taste.
> Keep seeking and trying if you are new to raw.
> There are some fabulous raw bread recipes out
> there. smiling smiley

Oh, please do share the recipe as that sounds delicious!

Posted by: SoRaw ()
Date: August 29, 2013 03:15AM

We make the nut-flax-veggie bread all of the time, but in longing for real bread-like deliciousness I made up this recipe to compliment raw-veggie lasagna and it's become a favorite!

2 cups sprouted rice, ground. *Sprouting rice can take 3 to 10 days changing water three times a day. Rice must be organic and not irradiated or the rice falls apart after a day of soaking and will never become sprouted rice.
1/4 cup soaked flax seed
1 T. Nutritional Yeast
1 T. Coconut syrup
1 1/2 T. Olive oil
Rosemary and Salt to taste.

Mix everything. Make into 1/2 inch thick bread-rounds. Dehydrate at 105 for 3 hrs. For pure decadence served with organic olive oil and balsamic vinegar, which is not raw but uber-tasty!

Date: March 29, 2014 03:47PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Diana (Cda) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > At Hippocrates in 2010, they gave us sprouted
> > manna bread that you can buy anywhere in any
> > health food store (Nature's Path is name, maybe?
>

[snip]

> I had the same issue with many of my breads...
> they all ferment. Unless you make them thin enough
> to be like a cracker.

[snip]

Guys, had to come and report back because after being on this board this 1998 and trying to be raw vegan since 8 years before then, for the first time in my life I have bread in it again properly!!

A couple months back, I found the breakthrough! I have now made several loaves of bread and know the secret for those of us sensitive to the continuing fermentation (spoiling) that happens once breads are removed from the D. The secret is to use all DRY ingredients as the main bread ingredients!!

Amie Sue Oldfather (NouveauRaw: [nouveauraw.com]) is that showed me this, inadvertently I know <g>, in her recipes. I was just going through a couple of her recipes and had to go back and re-read. All the seeds/nuts said "soaked and dehydrated" and I got excited as I began to wonder if that was the secret. For years, one of my health food stores carried ONE dehydrated product, raw food tarts in 3 different flavours, that I NEVER had trouble with (which told me the answer was out there, I just hadn't found it). so I tried out her fabulous Onion Cheese Bread and actually have always left out a lot of ingredients, and it turns out fab!! (http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipies/artisan-breads/onion-cheese-bread/). I left out a lot of things like the nutritional yeast (which Hippocrates does not recommend we consume, and since they saved my life, I tend to stick with their recommendations! <lol> )

It might seem to some that it's more work because of all the drying time in between soaking and dehydrating, but I don't. Making bread now takes less overall effort and fuss than ever before. Yes, you just have to plan a little bit more which we raw fooders know all about anyway! <g>

See, before this, I'd have to wait till the weekend to prepare the bread testing with starting the soaking process Thursday night. Now it doesn't matter when. I start to soak the nuts or seeds in the morning so they're ready for drying at night. I dry overnight, but so they're bone dry, I turn off the D when I'm away, and then resume a second night. No work. Just the work of turning the knob on the D on or off <g>.

Then I store the dried nuts/seeds till ready to make bread. In all cases, unlike bread made with wet ingredients, the breads dry overnight so any work-night I can make bread!

I found that this breads keeps dry and because the ingredients seem to become "inert" after they dry for at least 2 hours in the D (the shortest time I had the first time I made the bread and I ate it with no problems!). So unless you live in a humid climate, I imagine this bread will keep for everyone outside the D as well as it did for me this winter. Summer will be the experiment to see how well it lasts stored in a container at room temperature as we do get humid here in summer. I suspect I'll have to freeze then put the slides in the D first thing in the morning before going to work to dry them out. I'm used to years of doing this with manna bread, which wasn't even raw, so it's no hardship for me.

I did have one very, very bad experience, though, so a heads-up - I made another of her recipe that calls for almond pulp, which is not dry, and spent an afternoon and evening being very sick with even what I suspect is what projectile vomiting is. So I'm never going to make any bread ever again (that was the second time with the same results, even though 5 years apart), where I reacted to the wet ingredients continuing their merry way and fermenting (the kind that goes into spoiling). The scary things is that the dried sunflower seeds masked the tell-tale funky smell that moist dehydrated foods always give off so this time I didn't have any warning.

So just a heads-up to other dehydrator sensitives out there when dealing with drying anything other than raw, more whole foods (i.e., never any issues with partially dried veggies or fruits). This is an issue with soaked grains/seeds that then get pulsed/processed down. THOSE _always_ give problems unless dried to cracker-like dryness.

See, I put the bread slices into the freezer but didn't dry out after taking out as has been my practice. It seemed the bread was fine. So after it thawed, I at it. But the freezer apparently rehydrates the foods enough to then give the bacteria all the ammo to resume their merry fermenting party, I'm guessing <lol>.

So, in the end, so far all the breads made out of mainly pre-dried ingredients have worked out well. It doesn't seem to matter that those ingredients then get water added to them, they dry to dryness very well. I suspect that we have the psyllium husks and the flax seeds in Amie Sue's ingredients to thank. I bet you they help to soak up the extra moisture in the right way, too! So I won't dare make any dried-seed bread without them, either.

Good luck!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 09, 2014 03:34AM

I was dusting off my old recipes with the hopes I'll make something more interesting than salad soon. This is my bread research thread from a while ago:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 20, 2014 01:00PM

diana

interesting post
i didn't understand it very well though
did you mean that you

soak in the morning
and dry the seeds in the dehydrator at night?

and even if you dry them
when you pulse them and add things like water or even blended tomato or blended onion.. cuz these are wet ingredients wouldn't the seeds overall become wet?

also what does this mean

<<So, in the end, so far all the breads made out of mainly pre-dried ingredients have worked out well. It doesn't seem to matter that those ingredients then get water added to them, they dry to dryness very well. I suspect that we have the psyllium husks and the flax seeds in Amie Sue's ingredients to thank. I bet you they help to soak up the extra moisture in the right way, too! So I won't dare make any dried-seed bread without them, either.>>

r u saying that grinded flaxseeds simply dry out the wet ingredients AFTER you have dried them ?

it just seems to me that wet is wet
so why would drying seeds then wetting them with water or tomato or onion juice make it "dry"

it is wet when you put it in the dehydrator

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables