Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Roasted garlic, rawfoodist-style?
Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: June 02, 2013 10:23AM

Has anyone come across a way to process garlic somehow (in the D, maybe?) so that it comes out like roasted garlic?

Rawmazing's latest recipe calls for roasted garlic but I'd like to go strictly raw (http://www.rawmazing.com/roasted-garlic-and-sun-dried-tomato-vegan-cheese/#more-14270). The cheese sounds amazing, though, despite the one cooked element.

Cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roasted garlic, rawfoodist-style?
Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: September 06, 2013 03:23PM

Found a recipe!

[jarohoney.com]

Though I always travel to author's sites, thought I'd post the recipe here, too (you never know when websites are going to disappear):

-----------------------------
2013-09-06 11:22:10 (http://jarohoney.com/cool-roasted-garlic-raw-vegan/)

A CHEF'S TIP: I like to do large batches of this recipe and then freeze the leftovers in a freezer container. By doing this, I have roasted garlic anytime I need it. You can also chop it up and put in a sealed jar with organic unrefined garlic oil to infuse the oil for other recipes?keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Also- my dehydrator only goes up to 95 degrees, so this recipe reflects the times to process at this temperature- Your processing time might vary.

MAKES ABOUT 1/2 CUP ROASTED GARLIC OR 2 LARGE BULBS

2 large organic whole garlic bulbs (be sure to pick firm bulbs without any rotted/soft cloves in it)
1 TBSP fresh fine chopped oregano leaves
3 TBSP organic unrefined olive oil
raw organic apple cider vinegar (I'd use lemon juice, myself)
extra organic unrefined olive oil

Lay the garlic bulbs on their sides. Use a sharp knife and cut in half through the middle at its ?waist line?. In a mixing bowl, soak the halves in cold water for 3 hours, turn over every hour. In a small mixing bowl, mix the chopped oregano and 3 TBSP olive oil and set aside. Remove the garlic bulb halves from the soaking water and drain for 30 minutes. Gently slightly spread the bulbs cloves without breaking them from the base, completely dip the halves in the olive oil mix and place cut side up on your slotted dehydrator tray. Drizzle the remaining oil mix evenly over the cut side of the garlic, be sure to get in between the cloves too. Dehydrate for 3 hours and turn over. Dehydrate for another hour.Turn garlic back to cut side up and brush with cider vinegar, this starts the acid cooking. Dehydrate for another 2 hours, generously brush cut tops with vinegar every 30 minutes. Remove from the dehydrator, brush heavily all sides with vinegar and place in a biodegradable plastic bag, remove air and seal. Return this bag to the dehydrator and continue to low heat cook for another 15 to 20 hours until soft, turn over every 2 hours to ensure even processing. Remove from the bag, transfer to your serving dish, brush cut tops generously with olive oil and serve.

NOTE:If you are doing this a couple of days before service, do not brush with extra olive oil, keep roasted garlic in the bag and refrigerate up to 3 days. 3 hours before you serve this, set the bag out at room temperature then brush cut tops generously with extra oil, plate and enjoy.

-----------------------------

Going to try this recipe out.

Thanks to jarOhoney!

Di. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 03:24PM by Diana (Cda).

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables