Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone else oil-free?
Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: November 19, 2006 04:51PM

A good friend of mine who had heart surgery 15 years ago has convinced me to stop adding oil -- any kind of oil -- to recipes. I'm wondering, when I make a raw recipe from directions that call for 1 T. or more of oil what could be a good substitute. Just water you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone else oil-free?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: November 20, 2006 12:37AM

Flax oil is good for you! Unless the only nuts or seeds you eat are hemp seeds, you will not have a balanced omega 3 to omega 6 ratio and flax oil will give you the omega 3's you need. It's when you cook oils that they become a problem.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: ela ()
Date: November 24, 2006 11:44PM

Yes - I never add oil when I make recipes and have noticed (at potlucks and restaurants and such) that if I eat something with more than a very small amount of oil in it, I feel really uncomfortable. And it's not that I can't digest the fat - I'm fine with reasonable quantities of avocadoes, nuts, cocos, etc.

If you're following a recipe, you can frequently just leave out the oil, or add a little more liquid of appropriate kind, or lemon juice. Or sometimes if it's a flavoring thing as well as texture, I add raw olives (especially sundried unsalted ones).

Hope this is some help!

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: November 26, 2006 12:09AM

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm working on getting back to grinding flax seeds each morning and drinking them with some juice or water. So much cheaper and can't beat the freshness quotient. winking smiley

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 13, 2006 03:43PM

I like my olive oil. In moderation it has good fats for your heart. I use about a tsp mixed with vinegar for my salads.

Posted by: ljbn ()
Date: December 20, 2006 11:31PM

I am oil free!

I have never seen or heard of an Oil tree - or an olive oil tree or ... you get the idea. Oil is processed. If you take a good food and take all the stuff out of it that you can, you end up with - well something else, processed -- an olive becomes oil, fruit becomes sugar...

Substitutes for oil in recipes could be any liquid that seems appropriate or even blended fruit/vegys - the key usually is to get a bit more liquid in -- often diabetic recipes use applesauce...

my $.02 on this one
Keep it Simple
and as always Take what you need and leave the rest.
Lesa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2006 09:40PM

Depending on what it is, avacado may work or perhaps some sort of nut butter.

Posted by: Raw Step By Step ()
Date: January 04, 2007 10:40PM

Well, we do know that oil is not a whole food and it's also pure fat. When I do recipes, I will reduce the amount of oil significantly or really try to use non at all if I can - I agree that oil is really no good, I don't see it as a natural food, and it was originally used for burning candles and annointing people!

Also I know some people push oils for nutrition reasons, but when you think about what nature gives us in its whole form and how humans have survived without oils, it makes it seem pretty unreasonable to use oil for health reasons. Just eat the whole food.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables