Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: raw beans?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 19, 2010 12:42PM

This morning I'm finding black-eyed peas are mild and nicely crunchy after an 18 hour soak --

"The black-eyed pea, also called black-eyed bean, ChawaLie, Lobia, etc. in various languages in India, is a subspecies of the cowpea, grown around the world for its medium-sized edible bean. The bean mutates easily, giving rise to a number of varieties. The common commercial one is called the California Blackeye; it is pale-colored with a prominent black spot." [en.wikipedia.org]

..so they are actually small beans.. sure, they look it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2010 06:17PM

this link comes from this site:
[www.living-foods.com]
with a good listing of edible sprouted legumes

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 22, 2010 10:24PM

Nice article from Tom Billings, 007. He mentions blackeyed peas as edible raw sprouted but considers the taste too strong to be eaten alone. I just went through a lb dry (about a kg sprouted) of raw blackeye pea sprouts and didn't find them very strong, actually more bland in flavor. They substituted well in "humus" in which I ate 2 cups of blackeye pea sprouts this morning without any hiccups.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 23, 2010 12:03AM

loeve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice article from Tom Billings, 007. He mentions
> blackeyed peas as edible raw sprouted but
> considers the taste too strong to be eaten alone.
> I just went through a lb dry (about a kg sprouted)
> of raw blackeye pea sprouts and didn't find them
> very strong, actually more bland in flavor. They
> substituted well in "humus" in which I ate 2 cups
> of blackeye pea sprouts this morning without any
> hiccups.

Thanks for that. I have never sprouted them myself, but since they are one of the small ones, I imagine that they would do great for sprouting. I also like the idea of the raw hummus. Now to be able to successfully make raw tahini...

Date: April 23, 2010 02:04AM

I just use raw soaked sesame seeds in sunflower seed hummus, they impart a nice flavour though not the roasted seed taste. With enough garlic and lemon and a touch of salt it's pretty darn fine hummus. I grind everything in the Omega juicer to get it smooth without having to add water (it ends up too runny in the blender or food processor), that might be why the flavour of the sesame still comes through.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 23, 2010 02:15AM

Hey...and I have an Omega 8006! Okay, walk me through this: you use both sesame AND sunflower seeds? Are the sesame seeds unhulled? And do you put all this through more than once? Because when I put the sesames through, they were just meal. What about parsley and mint in your hummus...hmm? And a little olive oil to add flavor?

Date: April 23, 2010 05:51AM

I don't eat raw chickpeas so if I am making raw hummus I use sunflower seeds or a combo of them and pumpkin seeds (ratio of about 3:1) instead. I soak them and the sesame seeds (hulled or not, they are small so it doesn't matter so much) about 6-8 hours to soften them then put them through the omega (mine is a single screw juicer, is that what you have?) and they come out sort of pasty crumbly. I do add some lemon juice, crushed garlic, sometimes a bit of cumin (paprika is nice, cayenne is spicy), sometimes parsley, sometimes even some olive oil but generally it is just:

soaked seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame) through the omega
stir in the
lemon juice
garlic
salt
to taste

the soaking makes them smoother, so does the lemon. If that doesn't do the trick use a bit of oil but it just comes out fine for me. Same as if I am making a nut &/or seed pate, I just add veg to that when I'm putting it through the omega or I do it all in the food processor for a bit more texture.

If I am making chickpea hummus I sprout them until the tail is as long as the bean and then steam them until they are getting soft and unstarchy (as lightly cooked as possible but definately not raw). The rest of the recipe is the same.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables