Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are these cheating??
Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 05, 2006 07:44PM

Making jerky with meat in a dehydrator.. can raw food diet's consist of meat?

What is "raw"s substitue for the same nutrients found in meat and fish and breads? (Other than just nuts)

What is the average weekly cost of a raw diet grocery bill?

Is coffee, hot chocolate powder and tea cheating, even if mixed with warm water and not cooked (boiling water)?

Why are these not considered raw:

- Cheese
- Honey
- Instant oatmeal
- Milk
- Butter or butter substitute.

What does it mean to let rice or seeds "sprout" I get the part where it sits in water until it swells but "sprouting"? I dont get it tongue sticking out smiley

Thanks guys lol =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are these cheating??
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 05, 2006 07:49PM

trinity082482 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Meat, even raw, is not really vegan.

> Why are these not considered raw:
>
> - Cheese

Not vegan.

> - Honey

Not vegan.

> - Instant oatmeal

Not raw (it's already been cooked to save you from cooking it, that's why it's instant).

> - Milk

Not vegan.

> - Butter or butter substitute.

Not vegan (or natural in the case of the fake butters).
I use avocado when I find a need to "butter" something.

> What does it mean to let rice or seeds "sprout" I
> get the part where it sits in water until it
> swells but "sprouting"? I dont get it tongue sticking out smiley

Sprouting is effective starting to grow the seed, there should be at least a 'tail' showing, or a even a stem with a leaves on it. Rice is hard to sprout becaues they like to heat treat/kill rice before selling it.

Hope that helps.
Ian.

Date: December 05, 2006 07:55PM

Wow! Thank's for such a quick reply!!! =)

Can rice and seeds be eaten if they are not sprouted? Is it bad for digesting if you eat rice raw?

Also, even if those items are not vegan, can they still be considered raw?

Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:09AM

Thanks for asking those questions. I was wondering exactly the same things.

Renee

Proud to be a tandem breastfeeding, cosleeping, mei tai wearing, natural/homebirthing, cloth diapering, never spanking, non-circumcising mama to two wonderful little leeches. Baby Boy '04, Baby girl '06. :-)

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:22AM

trinity082482 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Can rice and seeds be eaten if they are not
> sprouted? Is it bad for digesting if you eat rice
> raw?

In my diet, I include unsprouted seeds. I don't eat any rice.

There is no real cheating in the raw diet, eat what you are comfortable with and enjoy.

Ian.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:45PM

Milk and cheese can be raw (if made from unpasturised milk and not cooked in the process).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 11, 2006 12:24AM

I think cheese is heated in the process of making it.
[www.leeners.com]

Oatmeal is heated twice in the process of making it Steps 4 and 8 on this link. I just did research on this and talked to a manufacturer and they said that raw oats go rancid so fast that they don't sell them raw :-(
[www.mccanns.ie]

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: December 11, 2006 01:01AM

For those of us that live in Canada (I don't know about how things are done elsewhere), I believe that all dairy products are not raw because they are required to be pasteurized. I don't think it is possible to purchase unpasturized dairy here, I don't think it is legal, although I have seen unpasteurized honey.

And of course, none of the above is really vegan.

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: December 11, 2006 03:56AM

Its true like what Sapphire said. There was a stand off in my area where they surrounded a farmer with a swat team cause he was giving away raw milk to people who split on a cow and kept it on his property its a few years in prison here if you caught trafficing raw dairy, its NUTS!!!! of course its not vegan still its nuts!!!

Date: December 12, 2006 03:14PM

That is nuts. Poor farmer. I think as long as people WANT to buy it, they should be allowed to. Even if it makes those people sick. It should be a personal choice. There is a dairy farmer a few hours away and my spouses co-worker buys raw butter from him. The co-worker claims there is nothing that tastes better.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: December 12, 2006 05:00PM

Rules can be so silly.....

It's perfectly acceptable to smoke yourself into a state of lung cancer,

It's totally legal to drink yourself into a state of cirhossis and death (probably spelled that wrong, sorry),

No crime to be morbidly obese, and die from diabetic complications,

But....

Holy smokes, stay away from that raw milk, you don't know what you are dealing with! (are you serious about the swat team? I don't think they even take drug dealers that seriously!)

Good thing big brother is keeping an eye on us!

Date: December 13, 2006 03:38PM

LOL Sapphire

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: December 14, 2006 03:11AM

Hi Sapphire,
yes I am serious the health authorities and police kept the place surrounded I donno what happened they would have taken action though if the milk had changed hands also they confiscated all his milking stuff or something on raid to his farm.

In paper health authorities said this was serious that giving dairy unpasturized was a serious offense jeopardizing human life and will be punished seriously I just couldn't believe it!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2006 09:58PM

You can not buy raw milk in Canada but you can buy raw cheese - they have it at Whole Foods and many other health food stores.

Why the difference, I am not sure....

Date: December 30, 2006 06:05AM

I wouldn't recommend eating uncooked rice! What most people soak/sprout is 'wild rice' which is actually a nut. It's quite tasty and can be made a variety of different ways. I usually add some olive oil and italian/mediteranean spices. From the original question about all of the different products..yeah they are all pretty much not raw. If you're even thinking about eating meat I'd recommend a transition diet. You should definitely get some books and read up about it.
Good luck..raw is awesome!

-John
my health journal: [circleofhealers.com]

Date: January 06, 2007 03:05AM

Oatmeal is not raw. It is steamed, smashed and dried before it is packaged. I have not been able to find any rice that is not "fortified" with a lot of artificial "vitamins."
In other words, these foods are not really nutritious. We are all actually living on raw foods since other foods do not nourish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables