Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why did my raw hummas taste bad?
Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 03:25AM

Today I made a hummas paste to spread over head lettuce and topped with a bruchetta salad and it was horrid.

I used 2 cups of chickpeas (soaked over night)
I blended it in a blender with, 1 pinch of sea salt, 1 tbs of lemon juice and 1 small clove of garlic. The garlic and the lemon juice was the only good thing about it. The hummas was I duno how to describe it. It smelt very uncooked and it tasted very pastey and although I used water to help get it creamy it was nothing like cooked hummas. What did I do wrong?? =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why did my raw hummas taste bad?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 08, 2006 06:15AM

I think using chickpeas would probably the problem. Unless they are fresh (green, in the pod) they taste terrible.

I've had/made a couple of nice raw hummas, one was using zuccini instead of chickpeas, worked very nicely to my supprise (after my first failure with chickpeas), the other was made with almonds, it was pretty good as well.

Some people have tricks for making the sprouted chickpeas taste better (chop/rough-blend them and then rinse them), but i've not try this and can't comment on it's effectiveness.

Try, try, and try again. ;-)

Here's a link to the zuccini hummas recipe:
[www.rawfoods.com]

Good luck,
Ian.

Date: December 08, 2006 02:29PM

Thanks =)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 09, 2006 12:07AM

I make my hummus with sprouted chickpeas. I usually sprout them about 3 days, then make the hummus as if using cooked chickpeas. It tastes fine, but is not as creamy as "normal" hummus. I sometimes add olive oil to make it creamier. I don't think soaking overnight is enough, that's probably the problem.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 09, 2006 05:05PM

For how long do you soak your chickpeas, katiee?

Posted by: rawlife ()
Date: December 10, 2006 03:02AM

we make great chickpea hummas here
the chickpeas taste very good soaked and lightly sprouted, but sprout them too long and they go bitter and nasty

also we do half and half chickpea and seasame seed - tahini
the recipes ive seen call for this, and this makes the most sense to me.

maybe your chickpeas were not good ones?

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: December 10, 2006 05:38AM

After soaking overnight and sprouting only for one day, I rinse the chickpeas and then put them in the food processor and twirl them around enough to break them up and then put them back into the strainer and rinse them until the water runs clear. Then I put them back into the processor and finish the recipe. I use both tahini and olive oil, salt, cumin, garlic, lemon juice. It gets really creamy and I love the taste. My first hummus turned out really awful!

Yeah, like Ian said, try, try again!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: December 17, 2006 06:07PM

Im going to try that! Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables