Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

recipe recommendations?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 12, 2006 08:13PM

I actually have two questions. I have been looking for seed milk recipies since I am allergic to nut ans have been coming up empty handed so far. If anyone has a good seed milk recipe I would be very thankful. I would use a nut milk recipe but I'm not sure the seed to water ratio would be the same.

I also have been looking for a raw food cookbook that isn't nut heavy and have been coming up empty handed. Can I do a straight seed for nut exchange or are there any nut-light raw food cookbooks out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recipe recommendations?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 12, 2006 09:15PM

I don't measure the amount of water I use to make nut and seed milks anyway. I just put the soaked seeds in the blender with enough water to cover and turn it on. Sometimes I need to add more water if the blender is struggling. I particularly like hemp milk, I've also made sesame seed milk.

The amount of water affects how thick the milk will be.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: ela ()
Date: December 15, 2006 01:13AM

Rob's right - in other words, you can use seeds interchangeably with nuts to make milk - it's just a matter of the flavor and how fatty it'll be. Pumpkin seeds don't work too well for milk in my experience and I happen not to like the taste of sunflower seeds too much (to me, they're too savory for milk). But sesame seed milk and hemp seed milk are wonderful! Experiment with more or less water for how creamy you like it.

As for the recipe books, they tend to be nut heavy, yes. See what the nuts are 'doing' in the recipe. A lot of the time, they're providing fat/creaminess/texture as much as flavor (although obviously different nuts bring different flavors). But you can definitely substitute the nuts with seeds in recipes. I'd suggest pumpkin and sunflower seeds for savory type recipes and maybe a mix of sesame and sunflower seeds for sweeter recipes.

Hope this is some help!
love
Ela

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 16, 2006 06:39AM

Ela, that was extremely helpful. I did try to make sunflower seed milk and neither my daughter nor myself liked it but my son "said" he liked it... though he may have been trying to spare my feelings. I will have to look for raw seaseme seeds and try that next.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: December 16, 2006 03:55PM

hemp milk tastes alot better, but you need to strain it!

Posted by: ljbn ()
Date: December 20, 2006 11:25PM

I think sesame milk is gross (ewe - hey to each his own)
Sunflower seed milk was ok when I was using it, but I often added banana or agave --- if you are in transition and want to try that it may help.
If I was coaching a newbie rawfoodie I'd suggest plain ole banana milk instead...

Keep it Simple
Take what you need and leave the rest
Lesa

Oh - banana milk = blender + 1-2 bananas + water (of course you have to use it right away or it oxidizes and looks nasty)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables