Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Alissa Cohen recipes
Posted by: llulu ()
Date: December 19, 2006 04:52PM

Anyone have a favorite recipe from Alissa Cohen's book? The women on the DVD were in awe of her stuff. Many very simple recipes. What have you made? What do you like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alissa Cohen recipes
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: December 20, 2006 09:12AM

Hello,

I have her book and DVD. I haven't tried any of her recipes. I have mostly adapted cooked favorites to raw. Many of the recipes required a dehydrator which I don't have. So, I wouldn't get too worried about not having the book.

Mostly, I eat fresh fruit or salads/veggies. What I've found is that if one is really raw, the eyes are blue or green. My brown eyes are slowly turning blue.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 20, 2006 05:38PM

I have been raw for about 4 months. My first book and intro to raw was Allissa Cohen's. At first I was trying a lot of the recipes that were mock cooked. Some I liked but a lot of them seemed too much trouble and weren't worth the effort. I started focusing on the more simple recipes and have found some really good ones. I think my favorite is marinade for greens. I loved spinach cooked in garlic and olive oil and I missed it. Not anymore. I like the raw version even better. last night I did make the eggplant parmesian and it is in the dehydrator now. It was very simple to make. I posted the recipe in the recipe section of the message boards. I am hoping to find some good recipes for my cooked food visitors. Another couple of favorites are the apple pie ans date nut torte. Very simple and taste wonderful!! We are discovering the simpler the better.

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: December 22, 2006 08:07AM

and do you have any un~ retouched pictures of this miraculas eye color transformation?

I have to say I am a bit sceptical of this, but if true then coolness.

I like my amber brown eyes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2006 08:08AM by Petals.

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: December 22, 2006 08:25AM

I made this recipe the other day from Alissa's book. Unchicken nuggets with honey mustard sauce and mayonaise. yummness. My keyboard is sticky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2006 08:26AM by Petals.

Posted by: all one ()
Date: December 28, 2006 07:30AM

That looks delish! what's in it?

Peace and Harmony

Posted by: cindy5393 ()
Date: December 31, 2006 04:45PM

wow those look great even kinda browned is tht from the dehydrator?

Date: January 02, 2007 10:54PM

Yes, they brown up in the dehydrator. They are made mostly of sprouted Lentils. The Honey mustard and mayo are good too.

Posted by: all one ()
Date: January 04, 2007 02:53AM

can you give me this recipe!?!? it looks so tasty..

Peace and Harmony

Date: January 04, 2007 06:55PM

I feel bad about posting her recipes. I did post her eggplant parmesian recipe and in hindsight thought I could get in trouble for doing that.

Posted by: Raw Step By Step ()
Date: January 04, 2007 10:34PM

Living on Live food is a great book, it is so packed full of information and recipes - it always seems like I've missed something!

However, some of my favorites were too high in fat for my cholesterol so I either amended or had to cut down on them.

I cannot eat whatever I want as long as it's raw, as that doesn't fit for me personally - I recommend her book though - my favorite recipe was probably the strawberry crepes.

Date: January 05, 2007 12:53AM

The strawberry crepes are fantastic. I read a blueberry crepe yesterday on Raw Pleasure that was topped with banana ice cream and carob sauce. Sounds like heaven. It is true about the information in her book. I like the simplicity in the writing.

Posted by: Peggy in the Raw ()
Date: January 22, 2008 01:44AM

I have tried quite a few recipes out of Alissa's book and am doing the enchiladas today. I've done the strawberry crepes a few times now and they are the BOMB! Tried the eggplant but didn't like it at all. Even raw; we all have different tastes. (;

This book/DVD is a great resource for raw foods! Highly recommended.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 22, 2008 03:54AM

i wouldnt feel bad one bit for passing on the odd recipie or two

all of allissa receipe come from ideas from her readers and even their own receipes that she has taken and used in her book by asking for people to contribute

sure she trys them out an see what works/doesnt work

but her receipies are contributions

and if you *REALLY* think you can get in trouble .. rearrange the order of ingredients , re word the description/instructions and the receipe is no longer considered propriety

its virtually impossible to copyright a receipie these days smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2008 03:56AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: January 23, 2008 12:10AM

From my hard drive archives (a recipe that was shared on this website over 4 years ago):

CHICK-UN NUGGETS

Hi!I have a recipe for a nut-based nugget that is very good.

1/2 cup soaked almonds
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup brazil nuts
1 tbl lemon juice
1/8 cup olive oil
1 tsp celtic salt
1/2 tbl rosemary
1 tbl fresh sage
1/4 tsp black peppercorn
1/2 tbl dried sage

Blend in food processor and then roll into small patties and roll around in finely ground yellow flax meal. Then place on dehydrator tray for 2 hours at 145 and 3 more hours at 115. This recipe is good for people who are trying to give up meat or who used to like, dare i say, chicken nuggets. Instead of the sage and rosemary you could put spinach and a bit of basil. Or you could spice them with curry or any other spice you might want. It is a very versatile recipe and GREAT for non-raw family members. ! I've tried a marinara dipping sauce that was good and also a simple lemon/tahini sauce. I bet you could make a mock sweet and sour sauce with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard powder and raisins!

Peace,
Anabear (original poster of this recipe)

Posted by: Peggy in the Raw ()
Date: January 30, 2008 07:38AM

OK...I tried Alissa's "enchiladas" and after 2 days of work and waiting...I HATED them. Don't know what I could have done wrong as I followed the recipe exactly. ): I ended up going out for dinner that night and having a cooked meal instead.

Next time I'll try to have a back-up plan in place. (:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 01, 2008 07:28AM

Avocadess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From my hard drive archives (a recipe that was
> shared on this website over 4 years ago):
>
> CHICK-UN NUGGETS
>
> Hi!I have a recipe for a nut-based nugget that is
> very good.
>
> 1/2 cup soaked almonds
> 1/2 cup pine nuts
> 1/4 cup brazil nuts
> 1 tbl lemon juice
> 1/8 cup olive oil
> 1 tsp celtic salt
> 1/2 tbl rosemary
> 1 tbl fresh sage
> 1/4 tsp black peppercorn
> 1/2 tbl dried sage
>
> Blend in food processor and then roll into small
> patties and roll around in finely ground yellow
> flax meal. Then place on dehydrator tray for 2
> hours at 145 and 3 more hours at 115. This recipe
> is good for people who are trying to give up meat
> or who used to like, dare i say, chicken nuggets.
> Instead of the sage and rosemary you could put
> spinach and a bit of basil. Or you could spice
> them with curry or any other spice you might want.
> It is a very versatile recipe and GREAT for
> non-raw family members. ! I've tried a marinara
> dipping sauce that was good and also a simple
> lemon/tahini sauce. I bet you could make a mock
> sweet and sour sauce with apple cider vinegar,
> olive oil, mustard powder and raisins!
>
> Peace,
> Anabear (original poster of this recipe)

i don't understand why your recipe calls for dehydrating at 145 when the point of raw foodism is to eat food not heated above 120, preferably not above 108 as that is the temp at which enzymes begin to degrade and die

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: February 03, 2008 02:24PM

(It is not my recipe but was shared by Anabear and then I shared her sharing.)

I agree with you the temperature is much too high, but I would be happy setting the dehydrator at about 111 degrees -- which would allow for it getting a bit hotter at the top. Actually it is 118 degrees at which enzymes begin to die (not 108).

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: February 04, 2008 02:13PM

According to Excalibur and Gabriel Cousen, you COULD dehydrate at 145 degrees for 1-2 hours as long as the food is enough wet and the food temperature (not the air temp) is below 118 degrees.

I myself prefer 105 degrees.. smiling smiley

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 07, 2008 12:23AM

Eye color?

Didn't Hitler believe something like that too?

There are lots of reason why eye color can change. Blue or hazel or green is not necessarily better and is not necessarily a sign that one is healthier.

I'm truly happy for you if you are healthy but please don't imply that those with brown eyes are not necessarily as healthy as those with other color eyes.

Please google or otherwise research

eye color changing

There are so many factors that can contribute to eye color changing! There is absolutely no credible scientific evidence that better foods leads to "better" eye color.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 07, 2008 06:00PM

tHESE DAYS YOU HAVE TO ORDER TRULY RAW ALMONDS FOR THIS RECIPE, SUCH HARD WORK

Date: February 19, 2008 12:24PM

I have tried many of her recipes...my favorites are the enchiladas, avacado stuffed mushroom, kale salad and raspberry/banana pie!!

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 22, 2008 01:21AM

Yeah, saying that lighter eyes happen when you're healthier is kinda weird. Maybe some people's eyes lighten, okay, but should someone with darker skin feel bad because their eyes match their coloring? That's not unhealthy... that's how human colors work!

Date: February 22, 2008 11:38PM

That looks wonderful. Did you share the recipe someplace? I would love to have it.

Pat

Posted by: lovekk ()
Date: February 29, 2008 08:07PM

I have made many of her recipes and I liked all of them. Her story is very interesting as well. I bought the book, which is as heavy as my telephone book, and read it in one night. (i didn't finish until 4am) Good reading though!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables