Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wet-dry grind for 1 cup or less?
Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: January 21, 2015 12:32PM

I've been searching for a few months now and haven't found anything locally that will wet grind things like hummus and such. The Vitamix is super but it requires AT LEAST 2 cups of ingredients in order to do a good job. I have usually only 1/2 cup of ingredients to grind on any given day (I don't like to make large batches, they don't taste good after a few hours). Magic Bullet is useless for this type of task; it's a blender, not a grinder. The Ninja is okay but it doesn't have the setup to really wet grind to something very smooth - I make sprouted lentil hummus and just don't get anything finer than chunky where my digestion would prefer very smooth and fine!

The best thing I've found so far is the Rovinka Multi Function grinder's mill attachment (awesome end result!!: [www.youtube.com]). But I'd have to buy the whole machine just for that functionality and it's a lot of money plus the shipping/handling!

I've found that a lot of the descriptions for east Indian wet/dry grinding appliances sound great and some of the youtube videos I've found look like they'd do the job but they're HUGE machines! I only need to grind 1/2-1 cup at the most!

Can anyone recommend anything that has worked for them? How do you get a smooth wet grind for something like sprouted legume hummus?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wet-dry grind for 1 cup or less?
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 21, 2015 01:50PM

Diana, this is what I have ...

[www.innoconcept.com]

(You are lucky, it is on sale this month. I paid $130 for mine.)

I love it. It works but I burned out the first one by asking too much of it (it's no VitaMix) and am on my second one. They are not built very well and are not UL approved. It flashes a spark inside which you can see through the plastic when it's turned on and when the speed is changed. I leave it unplugged when not in use. If you don't over burden it, like I did with the first one, it should last a few year. Then you can buy another one and have 4 carafes - which is nice.

I also have a stone grinder which I used to use to make idli batter with before I was raw but now I only use the Suri as it is much more convenient.

[www.innoconcept.com]

Date: January 23, 2015 02:57PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Diana, this is what I have ...
>
> [www.innoconcept.com]
> page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=256&zenid=l7
> 2agjvdt5k5fvgvr4upmtd5t0
>
> (You are lucky, it is on sale this month. I paid
> $130 for mine.)
>
> I love it. It works but I burned out the first
> one by asking too much of it (it's no VitaMix) and
> am on my second one. They are not built very well
> and are not UL approved. It flashes a spark inside
> which you can see through the plastic when it's
> turned on and when the speed is changed. I leave
> it unplugged when not in use. If you don't over
> burden it, like I did with the first one, it
> should last a few year. Then you can buy another
> one and have 4 carafes - which is nice.
>
> I also have a stone grinder which I used to use
> to make idli batter with before I was raw but now
> I only use the Suri as it is much more convenient.
>
>
> [www.innoconcept.com]
> page=product_info&cPath=22_27&products_id=241

Although they don't mention it at the website the wet grinder also comes with another blade which is the one which comes installed on their identical wet grinder they sell at their other website. That blade is the one I am about to install on one of my carafes because I am about to get into raw vegan chocolate making and the other blade is specifically made for reducing cocoa nibs to powder without them gumming up.

The company also sells an optional third blade designed for cracking whole cocoa beans to nibs for $25.

[www.cocoatown.com]

Date: February 03, 2015 09:19PM

"The company also sells an optional third blade designed for cracking whole cocoa beans to nibs for $25."

I was surprised to discover that this optional third blade actually was packed, for free, in with my Suri mixer. I don't know whether that was a mistake or not but if it is it's been going on for a longtime because I found another one which came, for free, with my first Suri blender. Now all I have to do is figure out how to the replace the blades and I will be able to crack the whole cocoa beans I have into nibs - which is cool. Peeling the beans is tedious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 09:20PM by SueZ.

Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: March 01, 2015 04:25PM

Thank you, SueZ, for your great response!!

I'm glad to know there is something out there that is accessible for purchase. I am concerned, though, re the fact that it's not approved and you see sparking <sigh>. That's a deal-breaker for me at this point. If I don't find something else will go for it, out of desperation <g>, but will keep looking. I really need to find something.

I think East-Indian cuisine understands the need - one needs to be able to grind 1/4 cup to 1 cup of something only and the Vitamix and all the other machines are great, but as I mentioned above, they don't work well with amounts under 2 cups of food, plunger or not!

I broke down and started using my Green Power, which is not ideal. I bought my Green Power in 1996 and although it's still going strong I've been trying to keep its use down to the most minimum. After all, it's going on 19 years of age now!! (Shows no sign of slowing down, though <fingers crossed>. I've only needed to replace the blades once and the "nose" housing on it a couple of years ago!!!).

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 04:26PM by Diana (Cda).

Date: March 12, 2015 07:25PM

You're welcome, Diana (Cda). I really don't know for sure that it's really sparking because I've never taken it apart. The light is blue and only is a flash for a split second behind the speed keys - no where near the motor in other words. Nothing heats up or anything.

Anyway, it's by far the best thing I've found for wet and dry grinding small and medium amounts of stuff and I've probably tried everything. I use it at least twice a day and cut a lot of clean up time off of my day by doing that.

The only thing I hate about it is the cheap plastic carafe covers and their rubber band style gaskets. It doesn't matter, though, since I discovered the lid of my smaller VitaMix carafes fits PERFECTLY on all of the Surya stainless steel carafes. By perfectly I mean you don't even have to hold it on while it's running. Which is really nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables