Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Veggie wash
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: December 26, 2006 03:42PM

I bought a /fruit/vegetable wash product at the health food store. It suds up like a detergent. Are the suds there just to make me feel like I'm cleaning/washing my veggies or are they a really good thing?
Is there a better way to wash my produce?

Dulset

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Veggie wash
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 01, 2007 04:21AM

I've read and heard various things. None of them get sudsy. One is to use vinegar. I'm unsure of this and can't find anyone who can give me certain information. I've been told that you can just use one or two drops per several liters of water. Soak the fruit for 15 to 20 minutes. This is what I do. I bought some apple vinegar. Not apple cider vinegar, just apple vinegar. My friend says that vegetables don't need washing. I wash them anyway.

I swear I saw somewhere once that you need to use equal parts vinegar with equal parts water!

So which is it?

I've also heard that a teaspoon or two of baking soda in several liters of water, again, 15 to 20 minutes, is a good wash.

But do you really believe that agricultural pesticides, that get into a plant through its roots, and into the meat of the flesh of the fruit by direct application, can really come out? Some small fruits, maybe. I am skeptical. Look at a watermelon? Really?!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Re: Veggie wash
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 02, 2007 08:55PM

I try to buy as much organic produce as I can, I am concerned about parasites and general bacteria not so much pesticides. I used to use a few drops of dilute food grade hydrocloric acid (to destroy parasites and eggs) but it's hard to get.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables