Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

using dehydrated tomatoes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2006 09:38PM

Hi,
I have a question...
the store I bought my dehydrated tomatoes from keeps them in refrigerated section with the herbs, so I have put them in my refrigerator. But there isn't a 'use by' date or an 'expiration date'. From you guys experience... how long do they keep? do they have to be refrigerated? I was afraid the container I already had might have been too old so I bought another container but the kids put away the groceries and I realized it had sat in the pantry for the day before I found it and stuck it in the refrigerator.... am hoping this one is still good? A while ago I emailed the company that packaged them but got no response. Does anyone have any advice?
thanks
Darcy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: using dehydrated tomatoes
Date: December 30, 2006 03:19PM

doesn't anyone use dehydrated tomatoes out there? i see it in the recipes from the books all the time. somebody must be using them and storing them somehow?

Posted by: ilovecarrotjuice ()
Date: December 31, 2006 04:30PM

at my house we dry our own tomatoes. once dry we just leave them on the counter, in a glass jar. they are yummy to snack on. i think they would be fine out of the fridge but in the fridge they will last a long time, i think.

Date: December 31, 2006 08:03PM

thanks for replying smiling smiley i get weird about food sometimes. i was hoping these would still be good to eat so that's why i saved them. so now i know they will be fine.

i just ordered one of those spiral slicers to make the zucchini spaghetti and then i wanted to do the spaghetti sauce which called for the deh. tomatoes. my sister is coming down in 2 weeks and she's never attempted raw but we are going to have a whole weekend of trying recipes together and her checking out the feel of it. i'm excited to have a partner in this even if it might just be a little while.

thanks again, darcy

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 01, 2007 06:13PM

I think ilovecarrot juice might be talking about different dried tomatoes to darcy. If they are in the fridge at the store, they are probably in oil and therefore not dry anymore, they will have a short shelf life. If the tomatoes are completly dry then they will last a long time.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: January 01, 2007 10:45PM

hi funky rob,
the tomatoes i bought are not in oil, and there is no list of ingredients, just the farm label with 'organic sundried tomato' on it, they are in a little plastic container and are hard and dry and shake around smiling smiley that is why it seemed odd to me that the store refrigerates them. i wasn't sure if there was some thing peculiar to dried tomatoes that i didn't know about.
thanks, darcy

Posted by: ela ()
Date: January 02, 2007 02:19AM

No, Darcy, the ones you're describing should last a _long_ time, in fact probably better out of the fridge because they could get soggy in there.

love
Ela

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables