Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nice savoury "ball" recipe (i.e., like spinach-cheese balls in idea)?
Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: April 18, 2015 07:38PM

Hi, everyone! My quest for a "savoury ball" of some sort is a sage that has been ongoing for a few years <g>. I've tried to come up with something for years but am still stumped. I need something that dries to a very crisply dry consistency yet still tastes good esp. after rehydrating in a savoury sauce or dressing of some kind.

See, I recently found the perfect topping for salads - raw olives! Yum! But at Cdn$17 per small bag, even though it does provide quite a few salads since I count out 10 per meal, that is too expensive. I currently have a well-paying contract but when that's over, I'll be back doing office admin work at minimum wage because the powers-that-be have determined that office workers need to be rocket scientists but they don't deserve to receive proper pay when going through an agency, despite the fact that that's virtually the only work out there if you're not permanent <g>.

So, I desperately need to find an alternative and the clock is counting down. I thought I had this in Amie-Sue Oldfather's croutons 2-3 years ago (NouveauRaw) but even with my modification of adding oil to the recipe, almond pulp recipes dry out my mouth something awful. The sensation is actually quite unpleasant.

So I thought that if someone has an easy recipe to share that it tasty but that still dries to very dry (we of colon/digestion issues can't seem to manage dehydrated foods that don't dry to bone-dryness), I'd be very grateful.

I figure I could then make these in batches like I do the occasional almond-pulp crouton and then dump them in the dressing container shortly before serving when I eat my lunch at work. That would rehydrate them, I figure, to make something the consistency of avocado chunks or raw olives. But without the problems of not being able to buy them when low in funds.

Does anyone have anything easy-peasy yet tasty to share or recommend?

No-one seems to have developed a cheese/spinach or other type of savoury ball recipe; like those savoury balls you can find in grocery stores and health food stores sometimes. Something like that in concept would be great (and please don't recommend I try to come up with my own recipe. I have! I'm terrible at that and make messes each time. It just seems I don't have the gift of recipe creation, unfortunately! <lol> ).

Thanks, guys!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 07:45PM by Diana (Cda).

Re: Nice savoury "ball" recipe (i.e., like spinach-cheese balls in idea)?
Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: March 31, 2018 06:24PM

I really like the "Herbed Cheez" recipe in Mimi Kirk's book LIVE RAW.

My son and his best friend like it so much that for years I often make it for them for the holidays and special occasions. Neither of them eat dairy and they just love it. The spices I usually add are garlic (fresh) and dill (dried), a little good salt and a bit of black pepper.

If you make a big batch of it you could form it into a cheeseball, and if you wanted it to look cheesier as in more yellow or yellow-orange you could just (after it has been made and fermented) add some powdered turmeric by the teaspoon and blend in until you get the color you want.

Re: Nice savoury "ball" recipe (i.e., like spinach-cheese balls in idea)?
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: March 30, 2024 01:58AM

I have made nice tasting little nuggets with the following home made recipe: "

Grind the following together (not in a Vitamix)
2 big pieces of cauliflower (half cauliflower)
1 cup nuts (Grenoble or Pecans)
salt
pepper
few dashes of Nama Shoyu

When everything is well blended, you check the seasonings and deshydrate in your Excalibur
(this recipe : 18 little nuggets)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables