Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

heres a question i don't have a clue about!
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 10, 2007 05:07AM

what do we raw foodist do for thanksgiving? i was telling my hubby maybe we could clean out a pumpkin and add chopped up nuts and celery and raw cranberries and oranges(chopped up).well put that and i don't know what else-to make a filling for the pumpkin.i don't know-what do we do for turkey day and xmas day?taylor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heres a question i don't have a clue about!
Date: February 10, 2007 07:13AM

I am not American but the hubby is and he has the following suggestions:

Squash soup (made creamy with a coconut or nut milk perhaps?)

Nutloaf (shaped like a log perhaps?)...

Challah bread: [www.lesliegoldman.com]

You could also do a raw lasagna.. layering different veggies (eggplant, zucchini etc) with a marinara of sundried tomatoes etc... along those same lines you could also do raw raviolis. Check out this link:

[gliving.tv]

Raw pies/tarts are also pretty easy and quick and I am told pie is a very standard Thanksgiving dish. Sorbets could also be an option!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2007 07:24AM by TheCoconutChronicles.

Date: February 10, 2007 01:11PM

oh wow! alissa cohen recipes!! wonderful. thank u so very much.These recipes just looked so good.this has nothing to do with the holidays but did u see the hambuger and fries?I am a sucker for fruit soup.the jungle soup just looked so good.thanks again.these a wonderful sites.hugs taylor and thank you so much.I could also do fruit parfaits.that is an option.I know everyone likes the almonds stuffed into the dates for a plate of candy.so there is that idea.oh-i was just loking thru my complete book of raw-uncook book and there is a recipe for carrot/orange/pumpkin soup.so ok-there is idea's and options out there for a semi-normal trade offs options so my family won't feel things are not xmasy or fitting for their holiday.great.wonder if anyone has any more idea's of what they have done for the holidays...for a bunch who really are not into this way of eating.thanks so much again/hugs taylor

Date: February 11, 2007 06:44AM

i have never used the agave sweetening.but i was thinking of sprouted some quinoa-mixing dried cranberries and chopped celery and apples and oranges and nuts and adding a tiny bit of the agave stuff and putting this mixture in a cleaned out pumpkin for the holidays.i wonder if this would be good.anyway-if anyone has any more ideas-it would be fun to do this.of course-it is so soon after the holidays that this subject may pick up next holiday season.i just wondered.hugs taylor

Date: February 11, 2007 08:30AM

Taylor that sounds like a great alternative to the typical Thanksgiving stuffing!

A few agave recipes I have found:

Spaghetti Sauce:

1 red bell pepper
1/2 Cup soaked sundried tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 TB apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
nama shoyu (raw soy sauce) or sea salt
agave nectar or honey
dash or more paprika

Process and serve.

Strawberry "Cookies" (this requires a dehydrator so Ive not tried it yet)

1 Cup ripe strawberries
3/4 Cup raw cashews, soaked for 20 minutes until soft
agave nectar to taste

Blend ingredients together in food processor until smooth. Spoon onto teflex sheet in round cookie shapes about 1-2 cm thick and dehydrate at 95F for several hours, flipping over when ready. Dehydrate until firm but soft, like a chewy cookie. Store in fridge.

Chocolate Orange "Cake"

Filling:
2 Cups fresh raw young coconut meat
3-4 TB raw carob powder
4 dried pitted prunes, soaked for 1/2 hour
1 TB orange zest
agave nectar to taste

Crust:
soaked (overnight in fridge) raw almonds, ground into powder
honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)

Stir honey and vanilla extract into powdered almonds until mixture is moist and sweet, spread into pie pan. I always make the filling much sweeter than the crust. Blend other ingredients in food processor until smooth, and spoon onto pie crust. Cover in fridge for a couple hours and serve.

Chocolate "Heaven"

1/2 C raw almond or nut butter
3 TB raw tahini
1/4 C raw carob powder
agave nectar or honey to taste
sea salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together in bowl with fork. Shape into little balls. (This is supposed to taste like a peanut butter cup)

And I did indeed see the burgers and fries recipe! Alissa is so inventive isn't she?! Just love all her recipes!

<3

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 11, 2007 10:13PM

You might like to try: Rawfoodrightnow.com

They have an E-book on just raw Thanksgiving Foods. They gave away 500 copies, but are charging for it now. It's not very expensive. I haven't tried the recipes, but plant to sometime.

One thing that I would add - my relatives haven't been very open to my raw foods and usually aren't willing to give up ANYTHING that they equate with Thanksgiving!

I've learned through trial and error to just take a really nice salad, fruit salad, or veggies and dip to large family functions on "food specific" holidays.
If I want to turn them on to almond pate, or raw vegan sushi, or some raw carrot cake - I do it on occasions other than Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I've pretty much given up trying to get raves from them. It takes open minds and when it comes to food, they aren't. I've always loved to cook (prepare food) for others. So, I just make sure that the salad(s) are fabulous and beautiful and the dressings are delicious!

Just my experience.

Life Is Good!

alive!
Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: February 12, 2007 02:45AM

yes-alive ,i think this too!but still I would like to sort of wow them.its a long time off,i know.it just struck me that i did miss the holidays this time cause i started in jan.i am going to have a really good veggie salad.and i think a platter of all kinds of fruits.then the stuffing thing i was thinking of.fresh squeezed juices.at least these things can be so good.i have to cook for a bunch.maybe 10 ,maybe more.well-i will also go look at the bookstore and see what i can find.i like the strawberry cookies recipe.yummy.what about doing all red and green foods for xmas?salad-green with red.i could make a platter of red/or green fruits like apples and pomagrate.well-i have to think on this some.look it up and look for something to catch peoples eyes and make them happy to try.i know my family will be negative about it.so i am prepared to wow them.hugs and thanks for the good recipes.i will put some in here when i find some.taylor

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 16, 2007 01:25AM

Ok - well having said that, here's a suggestion. If you have a dehydrator, you can make some pretty impressive stuffed mushrooms that even SAD eaters will appreciate. I sometimes use chopped onions, celery, parsley, pecans, and mix with some ground flax and salt and water and "poultry seasoning" and it has a Thanksgiving stuffing flavor. Use as a stuffing for the mushrooms. I'm always impressed!!!!!smiling smiley Hopefully - your loved ones will be a little more open minded and accomadating for you than mine are - they just think I'm a little nuts!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: February 16, 2007 02:09AM

uh! mine think i am nuts too!! lol!! i love the mushrooms recipe-they sound so so good.thanks...so much.alive-i too have to be careful.my family is very much expecting turkey and gravy and taters and rolls and the basics.i would like to wow them with some really good recipes.the stuffed mushrooms sounds so good.i really like the strawberry cookies.i am gonna try that.thanks so much.taylor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables