Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Backpacking and the raw diet menu??
Posted by: Runninggal1974 ()
Date: February 23, 2007 03:39PM

Hi!

We do a lot of backpacking for extended week long trips and wondered how the veterans of this wonderful community pack in enough raw foods without making your pack too heavy. I don't know how long I could survive on just dehydrated food!!

Any good tricks and ideas out there?

Cheerio!
Julie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Backpacking and the raw diet menu??
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 23, 2007 06:01PM

Depending on where you go, see if there are wild foods you can collect along the way.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: February 23, 2007 06:33PM

i'd suggest bringing some not-so-fragile fresh whole foods to supplement any dehydrated foods you consume. dates, celery, and apples come to mind.

where are you hiking? just curious smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 06:34PM by macfly.

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: February 23, 2007 07:54PM

Julie,

I'm been thinking about that myself. I am one month raw, but was one year raw a few years ago. During the time I was NOT raw, I did a one-week wilderness backpacking trip to the Sierras. It was challenging because I have many allergies and had to cook for myself apart from the group-arranged meals. Now, I face an even bigger challenge!

I will be interested to see what you come up with. I believe that the Raw Family (the Boutenkos) hiked the Pacific Trail. They carried some food and had food mailed to them. I don't recall what they packed (and I loaned the book to someone who never returned it), but you may want to look into that.

I would say that you'd have to take the most nutrient and calorie dense raw foods you could find: nuts, olive oil, avocados(?), dates, nut butters. Maybe a green superfood to mix in water. Dulse. Lara bars.

I searched and searched for a pure orange juice powder when I went on my backpacking trip but couldn't find anything. Maybe you could make it. (It would be dehydrated, yes, but carrying oranges is heavy!) How about almond milk made from finely ground almonds?

You could hang a sprout bag or two off your backpack (although I'm not sure that the moist greens wouldn't attract mosquitos).

I agree that it may be possible to supplement by eating off the trail. I'm sure you'll be super careful if you do!

That's all I can think of right now, but maybe something else will come to me. Please keep us updated on what you do. I'm going to need more ideas myself!

Pam

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: February 24, 2007 01:09AM

apples....oranges....pears...bananas....dates....melons....

these are energy foods....simple sugars...YES....

i would not be eating that heavy dehydrated stuff...its so much fat...
that will slow down the backpacking...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 24, 2007 01:32AM

Meinleben,

What is the heavy dehydrated stuff that has so much fat you are refering to?

Thanks,
Ian.

Date: February 24, 2007 01:35AM

This thread is also about raw vegan food for camping:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: Runninggal1974 ()
Date: February 27, 2007 09:43PM

We tend to be in the "light weight" packing crowd aiming for light backpacks, making our own gear, and treading lightly. So, packing all that heavy fruit, while it's fresh, might not work out well. I am trying to make some energy bars with dates, nuts, and cacao nibs (have not figured out a way to make anything more then a granola consistency, and I want a nice firm bar consistency, so any ideas here would be great!).

BTW, we hike a lot in Oregon, Washington, and California. Might do a Yosemite trip and an Alpine Lakes Wilderness trip. it's the fun part of being a high school teacher is the long summer backpacking trips we get to do!!

Keep the ideas coming!!

Julie

Date: February 28, 2007 12:11AM

I normally try to eat my heavy fresh fruits/veggies early on, in the first few days of a trip. Of course, most of my trips in via kayak, so I can carry lots and lots of gear and food (and wine and champain, etc) if I wish.

Have you tried dehydrated onions? These are great from adding some flavor. Also they can be rehydrated, I some times have them with seaweed.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 07, 2007 12:44AM

Try this website:

[www.rawhike.com]

Goodluck

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: March 07, 2007 09:29PM

Oooh boy... the food doesn't sound very appetizing, does it? I guess you have to go for the ambience! ;o) The baby food grinder idea is interesting. Wonder how well they work?

Thanks for sharing this, Taz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables