Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Garbanzo help
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2007 02:21AM

Greetings...
I have been making hummus for quite some time now, and it is the only non-raw part of my diet (I use canned garbanzos). I would prefer to use raw beans, but I haven't had much luck. If I purchase raw garbanzos from a bag, all that needs to be done is to soak them overnight, correct? I have tried this, and they soften only a negligible amount. Even after a couple of days, they are still rather hard and taste terrible. What I am doing wrong? How do I get them to soften, expand, and taste more like canned garbanzos?

Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Garbanzo help
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 27, 2007 07:26PM

Hi,

I would say forget the dried/strouted garbanzos, they taste aweful. I use fresh garbanzos that are still in the their shells, these are great, taste really yummy.

If I can't get fresh garbanzos I just use zuccini instead.

Good luck,
Ian.

Date: March 02, 2007 03:03PM

Before I stopped eating beans and grains,
I used to soak them and before I blended them into hummus... I put them in a food processor on pulse... and then after chopping them lightly.. I rinsed them to get all the starchy stuff off...

This made it taste much better and gave less gas.

Date: March 12, 2007 09:30PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Does anyone know where one obtains raw garbanzos? I imagine most supermarkets do not have them.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: March 13, 2007 01:46AM

Palex:

I've never tried raw garbanzos that were only soaked so I can't give feedback on that. However I have used sprouted garbanzos and had pretty good results when making hummus.

As far as purchasing them, your health food store may carry them and if they don't, it's likely that they'd know someone in their network of friends that sell it or could get it for you.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: GotVeggie ()
Date: March 13, 2007 05:50AM

fresh zucchinni/garbanzo bean hummus.. sounds great!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: March 13, 2007 08:51AM

I've found fresh garbanzos (in there pods) in hispanic markets, organic grossers, farmers market and middle-eastern markets. In both loose and repacked form. You want to get the ones with the greenest shells/pods. As the pod turns yellow, the bean get starchier in taste (which I don't like).

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: March 14, 2007 07:13PM

Sprouted garbanzos needs to get steamed for about 8-10 minutes before you use them. They contain something that´s not good for your body, but I don´t remember it´s name.
It`s really tasty to mix sprouted garbanzos with almonds(50-50), garlic, parsley, dried tomatoes and some salt. Great on crackers!

Maria

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables