Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"raw" meat recipe?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2007 10:44PM

Hello!

I am a recent veg, and im quite happy giving meat the boot! However, I am interested in creating some raw meals that have a hint of "meat" to them. For example, when I make raw Spagehtti, I think it would be lovely to have "meatballs" as a lovely touch. I supose the intention is more decortive then because I NEED meat, but they would also add more variety to the meal. I was wondering if anyone could advice me on a good "raw" meat to use for such meals.

My guess at the moment for a main ingredient is walnuts and perhaps mushrooms, mushrooms in particular because I noticed when I ate meat they took away my deep rooted craving for meat somehow...an interesting observation. Aside those two I suspect spices and well...that's all I can think of!

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "raw" meat recipe?
Posted by: Pam ()
Date: March 08, 2007 11:15PM

Try these. (I use salt and sometimes add 6 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked and pureed, and a garlic clove to the original taco meat recipe. However it is excellent without.)

Spicy Walnut Taco Meat (modified Matt Amsden recipe modified by Kandace on goneraw.com)
1½ cups raw walnuts, soaked and ground in food processor
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 t. onion powder
¾ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Nama Shoyu
cayenne to taste
Process garlic, then tomatoes. Add walnuts and seasonings; pulse process until resembles texture of coarse taco meat. Eat right away or allow flavors to meld for a few hours.

Mock Meatballs (don't remember where I got this)
1/2 cup Brazil Nuts (soaked 4 hours and rinsed)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (soaked overnight and rinsed)
¼ of a medium onion
1/2 Tbsp Nama Shoyu
1/2 Tbsp. Miso
1/2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
1 Tbsp fresh sage
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
1-2 cloves garlic
Finely chop the Brazil nuts in a food processor, set them aside. Blend all the remaining ingredients except the sunflower seeds in the food processor until finely chopped, then add the sunflower seeds and process until it makes a pate. Mix this with the brazil nuts. If you really want them to be like meatballs make patties and dehydrate them for a few hours until slightly crusty. Otherwise enjoy like a pate.

Date: March 08, 2007 11:35PM

Wow! Thank you SO much! I have looked at a a couple of recipe's for a "meat" part, like a raw burger for example, and I am also beginning to see repeat ingredients. So I think im finally grasping the "raw" meat idea!

And your recipe's sound wonderful, im very exited to try them! Well...actually it might be farther in the future then I wish them to be. It will be very difficult going Raw while still at my parents house, with plans to move out hopefuly this early October, I hope to have been at least 50% raw until I can buy my own groceries and live the raw life I dream of with my fiance!

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: March 09, 2007 12:21AM

Good luck with everything! You'll definitely get the hang of it. The Spicy Walnut Taco Meat is a staple for me. One thing I like do with it is make a layered dip by putting mashed avocado on a plate, followed by taco meat, then some fresh salsa. I it up on flaxseed crackers. Love it!

Date: March 10, 2007 02:06AM

Thanks! smiling smiley

I think possibly the most difficult part for me will be the fact that I am someone who isn't interested in a lot of flavoring and spices, well, typicaly! I love desserts and thank goodness for agava nectar and carob! But im sure I will aquire a taste and expand my horizons!

I have been putting together little fruit/veggie bowls with a huge variety to build conveniece for rushed mornings, and have made efforts to have a meal of raw at least once a day. I think what will help a lot now preparing raw meals, making "raw" meats for things, etc. Also just trying out recipe's from my Raw recipe book, im very exited about it! My dream is to be a really good raw chef, well, that sounds big. I just mean really good at preparing raw foods that taste really good. My bigger dream is to come up with my own recipe's too!

I hope by the time I move in with my Fiance (which is about 6 months away) I will be really good at it, and not only look even better for him as a big surprise, but be able to make him delicious healthy raw meals! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables