Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Seasonal eating and RAW?
Posted by: FarmerBry ()
Date: March 22, 2007 04:09AM

Does anyone here attempt to eat seasonally and successfully do it raw? I am just wondering if it is truly possible at a northern latitude such as 35 degrees to 45 degrees North where there are no fruit or vegetables growing during the winter months. Thanks a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seasonal eating and RAW?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 22, 2007 05:49PM

i grow alot of leafy veggies inside during the winter and strawberries.. considering trying to grow a few grapevines inside

i grow my stuff in dirt inside though ...i realy dont think hydroponics are terribly healthy as most of the nutrients are processed

i rotate my indoor outdoor dirt alot lol

Posted by: FarmerBry ()
Date: March 23, 2007 03:25AM

I'm sorry I didn't explain seasonal eating very clearly. By seasonal eating I mean eating what plants grow naturally (not under artificial light, etc.) during the time of year that they grow naturally. Any ideas, suggestions?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 23, 2007 04:01AM

hmm well im about 1 hour east of vancouver in the fraser valley so not sure how far north you are ...but it gets pretty cold and wet here for about 7-months of the year well for instance all winter there is rosehips EVERYWHERE that are an excellent source of vitamin c and can only be harvested throughout the winter after the flowers are long gone ...weather or not for instance you could survive on just those alone .. i kinda doubt it but im sure there is alot of foraging possibilities besides that one example.. i think some nuts dont come ripe untill winter .. and then there is for example ..winter pears ...nettles never seem to die no matter what lol

i imagine the indeginous people that foraged or farmed would have had to migrate somewhat with the seasons to sustain themselves unless foraging and storing were entirely possible

ok not sure if ive entirely missed your post point again but hey.. got me thinking lol ..gonna go dig out my edible plants books hehe smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 23, 2007 01:43PM

yeah just walk around

and see what u find

but do be careful
lot of the plants look identical to each other

so gotta be sure they are edible and not poisonous

there is a book by peter ragnar
i haven't gotten it yet

but i did like the photographs that he had
it was raw plants that were edible

really nice

google him

or just go out on a limb and get recognizables like fruit from trees etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables