Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dehydrated Foods
Posted by: Ksee ()
Date: April 27, 2007 01:36PM

The person at the health food store in my area says all his dehydrated foods are done with low heat. Would these be alright to add to my diet? Is the only way to get "healthy" dehydrated foods is to do it myself? Are these machines expensive? Where would I even get one? 20 questions anyone??? LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Ksee ( One of my Irish Setter's)

Ksee@rawfoods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dehydrated Foods
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 27, 2007 06:48PM

Hey there...ask him what his low heat is....sometiems they say that and mean under like 300...ideally you want it around 105 or so...some say 112 some say lower...i personally would probably say around 98 or the same as your body..i read that somewhere the temp of your body is a good ideal temp for the dehyrdator...if he really is low tempt then it is fine to add in!! but make surou know that cuz they will say that and not know or mean the same thing you are looking for....if you are going to be eating more dehydrated and feel it is going to be a main staple then get a dehydrator for yourself yes and use it..you can make healthy crackers with zucchin and carrots and a little flax...so that it is less fat you know?? and you can dry veggies for chips and ake lots of fun things.....they are a good investment if you do dehydrated.....you can find them at home stores...there are some onine here in the appliance section on the main page!!! and there are a million online to purchase haha...
good luck hope this helps
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: alicemagoo ()
Date: April 28, 2007 05:53AM

i have been looking for a dyhydrator.also

. Yes, apparently 100 degrees keeps most of the enzymes intact, and keeps the food more nourishing..but takes longer to dry things than using 120 degrees, obviously.

I hear that it is good to get a variable temperature dehydrator.
and one where the air goes through the food well, and one where food spilled from one layer to the other does not damage the fan or the heater.

you need to do some research before buying, like i am..

still not sure which one i am going to go for.

it seems like something worthwhile to purchase.. but a person like me wonders if i will use it that much.

People who have them, however, say they use them all the time..especially in summer when veggies and frutis abound.
They use them for drying tomatoes, and veggies, and herbs , and making crackers..
(not sure how to make crackers myself, but the other things seem simple enough.)

good luck
alice

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 28, 2007 08:29PM

miracle of miracles-
my friend who is trying to go raw got a dehydrator,
her husband wasn't a fan of it
so now i have a brand new unopened dehydrator
american harvest

and i'm drying some apples and peppers today just because i cannot wait to see what i can do.

i want to learn about crackers...

Date: April 28, 2007 10:20PM

Is there any particular brand to look at? I did some research on the Excalibur series...they seem pretty good. Also, I have been to Wal-mart and K-mart looking for this item to no avail. I have looked on the internet as well. Any "store" suggestions?

Thanks

Ksee@rawfoods.com

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 29, 2007 10:44AM

hmm sometimes target has them but rarely...you could probably find them at be bath beyond or a home store like macy's home store...or similar.....hmm yeah i am not planning on buying one haha so i dont' know....i haven't done much research on them but good thing you are before buying that is best...i don't eat any dehydrated foods so i dont think i have a need for them...

hey mamma cass.....the crackers are very simple from what people say....they use mostly flax seed ground in coffee grinder...with some carrot pulp or zucchini...if you have a certain kind you would like to make let me know and i can look up the receipe for you..i have a trillion books ahha..
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2007 11:20PM

Hey there! I'm new today, but had to put my two cents in worth. I discovered an inexpensive dehydrator at London Drugs made by the same people who make the American Harvister. It is NESCO brand. Their original one does not have a thermostat, but their new one does. Of course the excalibur is probably the best, but expensive! The NESCO one was, I think, around $80.00. I'd like to try a homemade solar one for the summer. I make tons of different flax crackers, and also cookies. One thing I love about raw foods is you can let loose and experiment! And! If it totally messes up, everything in a raw diet is compostable, so you're not wasting a thing! Have fun with it!

Lloydene

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 11, 2007 12:16AM

hiya Lloydene smiling smiley
here is the link i posted last week about a homemade dehydrator smiling smiley

www.alpharubicon.com

i think if you made a semi open design using the tinfoil and maybe some light mesh of somesort to keep off the bugs you could use something like this outdoors in the sun

kinda like those solar sun cookers smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2007 12:17AM by Jgunn.

Date: May 11, 2007 10:10AM

Thank you for all your posts. I have decided that I am NOT going to go this route. Thanks for all the ideas though!

Take care

Ksee@rawfoods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables