Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What am I supposed to do with this thing?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 21, 2007 06:06PM

If it's a brown coconut, it's pretty easy. There are 3 circular indentations on one end of the coconut. Get a large, wide nail and hammer through each spot. Then turn it over & drain out the milk.

Once I've drained the milk, I usually just throw it hard against the sidewalk or driveway and it shatters into a few large pieces. Easy and no knives!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 06, 2007 05:52PM

this thread is so funny
and i like the name "mr. haney" so much
that i had to just bump this up there

hee heee

Date: June 09, 2007 09:41PM

Check out the "How to Open a Coconut" video at RawFoodMedia.com:
[rawfoodmedia.com].

It looks suprisingly easy, but it works!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2007 09:48PM by vasana1.

Date: June 21, 2007 03:04AM

This is my first post! smiling smiley

I just had to weigh in here.

I don't think there's any 'right' way to open a coconut.

Here's what I do;

Mature Coconuts - I find the three eyeholes, then poke out the two softest with a clean screwdriver and mallet. I drain off the milk, then I chuck the thing out my back door down my concrete steps. Works like a charm every time. winking smiley

Young Coconuts - The easy method to drain the water is to slice off the flat bottom with a serrated knife, then find the eyeholes there. They'll appear brown when you're getting closer. Some can be poked out with a finger if you slice close enough.

To get to the meat, start slicing with the serrated knife towards the point on the pointed side to expose the inner shell. (This part that can also be done with a meat cleaver, using the blade and some angst.) When you reach the shell, take a cleaver and start tapping with the corner nearest the handle in a circular motion. You can either be patient and tap out a little door like the rawfoodmedia video, or find soft spot, take the blade edge and give it a good whack. Either way should be the beginning of a lid which can be eased open.

Easy peasy!

-Jesse

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 21, 2007 04:33AM

i think coconuts were made so we can have fun with our food lol smiling smiley

that and pomengranates winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 22, 2007 10:07AM

i think coconuts were made so that HOME DEPOT
could get

BIG business from rawies who are willing to purchase one of those electric saws

hee hee

oh yeah, hey jessebug

R U SERIOUS?? i still don't see how throwing the coconut down the concrete cement stairs could open those knucklehead coconuts

they are a real hard one to crack, ya know?

even running it over with a mack truck

welll... just maaaaaybe

Date: June 22, 2007 10:07AM

i STILL like the name Mistah haneyyyy

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 24, 2007 11:34PM

pomegranates,
the next great thread....

my dad used to clean me one for breakfast every morning in greece when i was young

i love those things..

peace-

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 24, 2007 11:55PM

i love pomegranates smiling smiley .. somehow the concentration that goes in to get each seed somehow becomes allmost meditative ...

talk about concious eating lol !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: happyvegan ()
Date: July 11, 2007 04:05AM

I guess I've never gotten one of the "difficult coconuts. I whack them once on my front porch, let the juice drain from the crack into a bowl, and then whack it one or two more times to get it completely apart.

Maybe I'm talented, lol!

Posted by: alphadee00 ()
Date: July 20, 2007 07:04AM

Hi All

Love this thread!

What's the fuss about? We get coconuts all the time in South Africa, keep a hammer and screwdriver in the kitchen drawer, clean around the "eyes" at the top, hammer the screwdriver into two of the the "eyes", drain the milk, use it in a recipe, then whack the coconut with the hammer, split it open, use a sharp knife to cleave the flesh from the shell and ... munch. It's easy :-)

David Wolfe's Eating For Beauty book has a great coconut cream recipe - it is really yummy, like coconut yoghurt.

Dee

Date: July 20, 2007 10:09AM

If it one of the mature, brown and hairy things (don't report me to admin I do mean coconuts), poke the eyes with a screwdrive and drain the milk. Then pop it in a plastic bag, swing it against hard till it cracks

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: July 26, 2007 05:15PM

crombie-
that sounds like a fun way to whack em
bet my kid would like it too (he's a bit young to lend the hammer)

i've got one on my counter
and i'm just waiting to take a whack at it

peace-

Date: July 27, 2007 06:18PM

Greetings all...

I'm new to the wesite and forum. I'm enjoying this post for several reasons. I have the privilage of being in south florida and being able to go outside and grab a (young) coco off the tree...here's my other priveledge...my boyfriend is Jamaican...so i tell him...buss it...and he does with his machete. You can find a good machete at any swap market for cheap. There good to have around anyways for a number of things...but hold up the coco in one hand, swing your machette upward making small cuts around the top while turning the coco then swipe across the top. Put in a straw and drink or pour into a glass. When your done, put in on the ground, give it a whack going straight down from where it's cut open and that will normally split it far enough down the middle for you to pull both sides and get it open and scrape the jelly.(we normally us the sut pieces of the coconut shell to scrape the jelly) Same thing with the brown, but they are better to shave when cracked to use for dishes.

The Jamacains believe that coconut water goes straight to the heart and makes you strong...i believe it. It's very healing.

Enjoy! smiling smiley

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables