Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is brown rice eventually made into brown rice flour, considered a raw food?
Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 03, 2007 09:06AM

I was wondering if brown rice, eventually ground into flour, would be considered a raw food...Some recipies use whole grains or even unsprouted or soaked seeds and nuts so I was wondering if on occassion if I use freshly ground brown rice would that be considered an acceptable raw food ingredient...Diana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is brown rice eventually made into brown rice flour, considered a raw food?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 04, 2007 12:35AM

id contact the manufacturer of the flour and ask them the steps .. depending on the processing some machinery can heat the grains well over 100 degrees which would possibley render them not raw ..

just ask

yer a consumer its yer right smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:28PM

isn't 118 deg f the magical number?

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 04, 2007 08:35PM

Thanks for your answers...but I was refering to the brown rice that I already have that I usually sprout...actually I was wondering if at some time that I may need a dry ingredient to thicken something up, if I ground up the unsprouted dry rice, would this still be considered a raw food...Diana

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 05, 2007 08:12AM

Hi there...well from what i have heard unsprouted dry rice is poisonious...and shouldn't be eaten..and that the only rice you can sprout and eat that won't toxify your body is wild grain rice...hmm i could be wrong wouldn't be the first time...but that is what the nutrional book at a vegan place here in san diego said and a few raw foodies that have books out.....so i don't know..just letting you know!!! but i def don't think it would be a good idea....i know that to make thickeners for things...

here is some info from uncooking with jameth and kim...they say that to make a flour type deal....you use any legume nut or seed or grain that IS sproutable and safe....and soak and sprout the item...then dehydrate it at 110 f for 5-8 hours or until very hard...then grind the item into a flour in a vitamix or flour grinder or anything else that will grind flour....when grinding be sure the temp doesn't go above 115 f and keep lower to be safe....if your equipment starts to get hot...freeze it along with the flour items and then finish whenthey have cooled off....you now have raw sprouted flour smiling smiley i hope this helps hun...good luck!!!

oh and also it says for sprouted flour dough for sweets
use 1 cup of the raw sprouted flour from above
add 1/2 -1/4 cup of dates (remove pits first) they said that haha not me lol
up to 1/4 cup of purified water
use as little water as possible only enough to form dough shape...helps cut downon dehydration time....whenflour is mixed with dates it will not completely harden when dehydrated...(the more dates you use the softer the dough and longer it will take to dehydrate) just mix the raw sprouted flour, dates, and water in a food processor until you have dough!!!

i hope this helps you hun!!!!
they also mention that using unsafe granes or legumes that aren't sproutable...is unhealthy and also using unsoaked or sprouted items..is worse then eating the actual item cooked..or lightly steamed....so that is all that i found...it is some good info though..let me know if you want some yummy receipes from their book..they make mock pop tarts and all sorts of crazy stuff haha with this dough!!
enjoy
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables