Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I have a fear of "old" fruits and veggies, need a guide.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 11, 2007 09:04PM

I'm new to a raw food diet and juicing, taking it slow. I need help getting over my fear of "old" fruits and veggies. Need an example? I'll cut up a cantalope into wedges and place it in a tupperware container. If I open the container and see a little "slime" either on the fruit or along the bottom of the container I throw it out for the horses next door or compost it. I know I'm wasting a lot. It's just the way I was raised, my mother always had to have fresh and questionable foods made her nervous.

Can someone suggest a good guide for fruits and veggies? I'd like a bood or website that tells you 1) how to handle fruits and veggies (parts to eat or toss) 2) how long a fruit is good for once picked or cut 3) what you can do to extend the shelf life of fruits and veggies.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I have a fear of "old" fruits and veggies, need a guide.
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 12, 2007 06:21AM

hey therei am sure ther is something on google..i know i googled how to store strawberries once and found a site don't remember or actually never knew it haha...so if you google it though i am sure you will find it
love earthangel
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 12, 2007 02:53PM

when ever i have some things going on due to acute fridgeitis (lol) i just give them a quick ice water bath .. cuple minutes at most and it perks things right back up smiling smiley

bryan posted something neat howthe fridge warms an cools all day which causees the dehydrating

the sliming i think is just the plants natural way of trying to close the cuts/wounds ..kinda like how we do smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 12, 2007 11:16PM

how to get over your fears?

i don't think that fear is the right word

concern is more accurate

and i see no reason why you should get rid of your concern

u SHOULD be concerned

cuz if its old it might have mold or whatever and make u sick

so keep your concern

learn what type of action to take when the situation arises
and be glad that you are discerning

if the ENTIRE thing is old and rotting, through out the ENTIRE thing

if only a part of it is, u could still cut that section off ( like a brown part of an apple) and keep the rest of it

it is up to you

its how u feel about it

some people throw out an entire apple
cuz only a tinsy part of the surface is brown

some people just lop it off with a knife

other people feed it to their horses

or shred it and make compost out of it

its your life

keep learning

and keep your CONCERN

it may save your life someday

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 13, 2007 08:22AM

hey there...well i agree with lv that concern is necessary..but ther is a line with concern and obsession..(and i say this kindly because i have been there i am getting over it haha) it is good to be concerned bu ti was obsessed any tiny little thing i would throw out or get rid of because of something most people would never hha..but i am working on it..now if there is a little brown spot or mushy piece i cut it out and move on with the rest of the item..if there is mold however i still throw the entire thing out..it has infected the item even if it is just a spek and can damage your health!!! so you have to be careful but no that somethings are okay..good luck i know your pain though..i had a roomie who got upset cuz we shared things and i would throw things out at the first sign of wilt/ mush/brown or over ripened..when it was still good most times haha she hated it!!!
but i am better smiling smiley
and now ibuy my own things haha
love earthangel
xoxooxoxxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables