Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dish for an omnivore potluck
Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: June 05, 2007 07:59PM

Hi,

I am looking for a recipe with the following basic requirements:

- It should be suitable for an omnivore potluck. This means two things. First, it should not be too "weird" compared to typical food. Second, I would like the other people to leave with a good impression of vegetarian / raw food. Something that tastes (and looks) super terrifically great would be nice.

- It shouldn't have any ingredients that are too exotic, just the ingredients that I can get at a regular supermarket. No goji berries, raw tahini, etc.

- I have a blender, but no other equipment (no dehydrator, juicer, or a food processor).

- It does not have to be easy, but on the other hand, I don't want to spend all day preparing this.

- I thought about making a desert, but a lot of them require refrigiration. I am concerned that by the time I bring it to the potluck, by the time it starts, etc, a few hours might pass, and it might melt. I know it would still taste good, but since the people will be unfamiliar with raw food, the presentation might scare them off.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dish for an omnivore potluck
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 05, 2007 10:28PM

hm,
i have a desert that won't melt-

and a blender is all you need.

1 cup dates
1 cup walnuts
raw cacao to taste (i use 2-3 tablespoons, but i love chocolate)

blend walnuts until chunky, put half aside, add dates and chocolate and grind until smooth and mushy- like brownies. then mix in walnut chunks by hand, press into a brownie dish or cake pan, and cut and serve. everyone loves this, raw, vegan, omni, kid or adult. people ask me to bring them specifically.

if you want icing, there are threads about cashews, agave nectar and water in a blender. i'm not that high tech.

for a side dish, a greek salad would work.

cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and sun-dried olives (my grocery stores all carry these now) drizzled with olive oil and vinegar and sprinkled with sea-salt (and usually feta, but that's an easy one to leave out).
exotic, fresh, and easy. you cut all the veggies pretty chunky, toss and serve w/ olive sprinkled on top.

that's all i got today.
peace-

Posted by: Howlingmoon ()
Date: June 05, 2007 10:38PM

Wow, that dessert sounds wonderful! I might have to try that at our potluck next month. = D

For tis month's potluck, I'm planning on taking carrots and celery cut into 1-2 inch long "sticks", with a raw ranch dressing for the dip. I found the ranch dressing recipe in The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. (Pg 113)

Makes 2 cups.

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 cup whole, raw macadamia nuts
1/3 cup cold-pressed olive oil (optional)

Blend all of the ingredients until smooth. Add water to achieve desired consistency.

Keeps for 1 week.

Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 06, 2007 03:53AM

neat - o

ranch, huh?

nice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables