Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Easy ice cream recipes
Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: June 24, 2007 01:55AM

Hi,

I'm looking for some ice cream recipes. I've heard once of a banana recipe. Could someone post it here? I'd like something where the basic recipe is easy but allows optional addons.

Also, how long can it last out of the freezer before it completely melts?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easy ice cream recipes
Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 24, 2007 01:31PM

Try the book "Vice Cream". It is avaialable at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com

It is a vegan ice cream recipe book with a lot of recipe ideas included for yummy raw ice creams.

peace
courage
life
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: June 25, 2007 08:27AM

I just unpeel a couple of bananas, break them into pieces and freeze them in a tub. Then, leave them out to soften slightly and then chuck them in the blender (I don't have a processor) and add nut milk (to help the blades go round) and agave syrup to sweeten.

Last time I made it, it took ages to start softening (I think my freezer is set on antarctic temperatures though).

Posted by: Nessi ()
Date: June 25, 2007 11:27PM

frozen bananas

-That's your base. I use a mini cuisinart prep that I've had forever. I just blend for a minute or so. Add ice or frozen fruits if the bananas get too melty.

Add any or a combination of the following:

additional fruits:
frozen or raw cherries are tasty!
grapes, oranges, strawberries
water or raw nut milk
agave nectar or dates as sweeteners
vanilla extract
carob or cocoa powder or cacao nibs if you're lucky enough to have them

Top with:

almonds or nuts
coconut oil will harden just like a shell if it's cold enough _ yum!
cinnamon!

GET CREATIVE! Whatever your old favorites were - take liscense and recreate!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 28, 2007 01:08AM

Hi, Oscar here,
we made an episode of freshtopia on Raw Vegan Icecream last month that everyone seems to have really enjoyed. Check it out here:
[freshtopia.net]
Or find it on our Browse Shows page.

It uses a cashew base (note, there is some debate over the nature/appropriateness of raw cashews, but that's a longer conversation) that we tweaked a bit, from one we received from Heidi and Justin Ohlander.

Simply Vanilla Ice Cream Base:
A Recipe Created With Love from Heidi and Justin
Makes About 1 Quart

2 Cups Raw Cashews
2 Cups Purified Water
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Agave Nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR 1-2 vanilla beans
(We’ve added a pinch of sea salt)

Blend all ingredients in blender for 2 minutes to reach as smooth a consistency as possible*, chill mixture in freezer for about 1 hour. Process mixture in ice cream maker according to your model’s instructions, we’re using Cuisinart’s ICE-25. Place into re-sealable container and put in freezer to firm up! *Note: if using a regular blender, consider soaking the cashews in the water to soften and make blending easier.

For the show we made a blackberry lavender variation which is amazing! We also have a recipe for Saffron Rose on the site. We used an icecream maker on the show, but i've heard of people using just a blender, though I don't know much about the process.

We also just finished shooting an episode on Watermelon Granitas, a wonderful, light, frozen fruit-ice dessert. We should have it up on the site toward the beginning of next week.
Hope this helps,
Oscar
Director, www.freshtopia.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables