Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Avocado alternative
Posted by: jonesy8844 ()
Date: July 17, 2007 07:39PM

Hi folks

Avocados are extremely expensive this year and since I'm trying to wean off nuts (I'm totally addicted), I wondered if anyone had a healthy fatty alternative to avocadoes to get me through this period while my body is getting used to healthy food. Green juices are great but I like salads.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avocado alternative
Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: July 18, 2007 03:09AM

Raw tahini dressings on salad works for me as an avo alternative. It has a creamy mouth feel and is fatty enough. smiling smiley

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: jonesy8844 ()
Date: July 18, 2007 03:38AM

I should have mentioned that anything made from seseme seeds gives me severe gas. I swear that I keep identifying more and more foods that I'm sensitive to.

thanks
k

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: July 18, 2007 05:20AM

K,

Other than whole nuts and seeds, or nut and seed butters like almond butter,cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, pumpkin seed butter, hemp seed butter, etc., etc., the only other rich fats out there would be durian fruit, cacao butter, coconut oil/butter, olive oil, flax oil, hemp oil or other nut or seed oils.

I would experiment with macadamia nut oil for a buttery taste, or try adding coconut oil/butter to smoothies and salad dressings for a richer heavier fat that tastes great.

I personally enjoy making a raw cashew ranch dressing to pour on my salads when I'm missing avocados or have a craving for something rich. I just ration my portions...

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 18, 2007 02:30PM

id try a hemp seed concoction as an alternative smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: alphadee00 ()
Date: July 19, 2007 06:36PM

Sprinkling your salads with lecithin granules gives a lovely mouth feel.

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 20, 2007 01:36PM

Jonesy,

You're jonsing for nuts for a reason. (Sorry, the pun was too tantalizing.) But seriously, you aren't addicted to nuts. While you're in transition, your body needs a lot of them for the extra protein. Your body will want them less as it learns to assimilate the amino acids in vegetables and fruits by growing more hydrochloric acid. (BTW, don't force hydrochloric acid into your body with pills. If you do, your body may become dependent on them and think it doesn't need to grow its own.) In the meantime, eat as many as your body feels comfortable with.

Betty

"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do." Rumi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables