Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nut-free frosting?
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: August 03, 2007 01:54PM

Anyone have a recipe for nut-free frosting? I REALLY want to make that carrot cake islandgirl posted; I can just sub sunflower seeds for the walnuts in the cake, probably, but they won't blend up as smoothly as cashews in the topping part.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nut-free frosting?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 03, 2007 02:49PM

Creme Cheeze Frosting

1/4 c. raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds (you made need more seeds to thicken the consistency)

1 c. water
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 T. canola oil
1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
scant 1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Grind seeds to a fine powder.

Place the ground seeds in a blender or processor with 1/2 c. of the water. Process to create a smooth, thick cream.

Add the remaining water along with the lemon juice, cornstarch, oil, yeast flakes, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.

Pour the mixture into a small saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat, bringing the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. After the mixture thickens, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min. longer.

Remove the saucepan from heat and beat in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool.

Beat the frosting well with a fork, wire whisk, or electric beater. Transfer to a storage container and chill. The frosting will keep in the refrigerator for about a week, becoming firm as it cools. Prior to using, mash and beat the frosting well with a fork, wire whisk, or beater until it is smooth and creamy.

JODIS NOTE:
I did not bring anything to a boil ive just warmed it enough to blend the ingredients and then let it sit THEN used a handheld blender to whip it up some and it turned out fine smiling smiley good luck !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2007 02:50PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 03, 2007 03:30PM

oh and i forgot to add .. ive used coconut oil instead of canola and quite like the flavor better smiling smiley

but im a real coconut head tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 04, 2007 04:33AM

I have made a carob fudgy icing, not quite a frosting but still really tasty and a great nut free way to frost things... from raw carob powder ( i'm sure you could use cacao if you chose to), agave and coconut oil. I have also used agave, lemon juice and coconut oil for a lemon icing. And and a strawberry icing from both fresh and dehydrated strawberries, agave, coconut oil.

You could use raw honey instead of the agave or juicy moist dates. And add ground up sunflower seeds to thicken each icing as needed if it's too runny or liquidy. I find it helpful to put them in to thicken things up a bit.

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 04, 2007 05:48PM

Why not use raw Tahini? I just love raw Tahini & raw honey (or date). Typically real Carrot Cake has a Cream Cheese frosting. If you look for raw vegan recipes for Cream cheese, you might be able to sub the Tahini for the Cashews, etc.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: August 05, 2007 03:23AM

Thanks for the suggestions. One problem though, life101: I'm allergic to sesame as well! sad smiley

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 05, 2007 08:27AM

Okay. How about Coconut Cream flavored with orange or something?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables