Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Almond milk
Posted by: Shubby ()
Date: August 13, 2007 06:09PM

I was gong to try to make some almond milk today. A recipe I saw said to blend raw almonds with water and then strain thruugh a cheesecloth. I do not have one yet. for today can I used an unbleached coffee filter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Almond milk
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 13, 2007 06:47PM

sure that should work smiling smiley might be a bit slow though ..give it a whirl !smiling smiley let us know if it worked

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 13, 2007 07:11PM

I hopped on my bike and went to the dollar store and bought a cheesecloth

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: August 13, 2007 07:12PM

Hi.

I blend my almonds with water and then pour through a fine mesh strainer. I have to tap it with my hand a bit to help the milk strain through. When all that's left is mostly pulp, I pop it into a cloth cotton coffee filter and squeeze the rest of the milk. I'm always surprised at how much is left in the pulp.

the best to you,
Smile

Date: August 13, 2007 09:26PM

Well its in the fridge, we'll see how it tastes. I never used a cheesecloth before...interesting a bit of a mess. hehe

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:59AM

How was it, Shubby?

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Date: August 14, 2007 02:12AM

Delicious!!!!!!!!

My wife came home and asked me what I did today. I replied "made milk". She looked at me rather confused and said "Do we have a cow I dont know about??!!"

I had it in a bowl with some banana slices. mmmmmmm

As for the fat content. Not that it worries me, but my wife had an operation and mut eat low fat for a while. I know about good fats and bad fats. But 1 cup of almonds has something like 60 grams of fat. Since I strained the almonds through a cheesecloth I assume some of the fat was left behind? What do you thnk?

Date: August 14, 2007 02:25AM

Almond milk

Almond milk may sound like a 21st-century product, but references to almond milk date back to the Middle Ages.
Sam Cunningham, Ph.D., Cunningham Consulting, Folsom, CA, says: “Almond milk is a good alternative to dairy and soy beverages for everyday use. Almond milk is very mild in flavor, and thus can become the vehicle to which flavors and nutrients are added in development of nutrition beverages. There are no off-flavors to cover up, so it makes for a very wide range of possible flavor profiles.”

Among consumers, almonds have an upscale, healthy image. Like soymilk, almond milk has no saturated fat, no cholesterol and no lactose. What sets almond milk apart is its high vitamin E content. According to Blue Diamond Growers’ specifications, one cup of almond milk (240 ml) contains 14.99 IU of natural vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol). In contrast, the USDA nutrient database reports one cup of soymilk has 3.31 mg alpha-tocopherol and 1.35 mg vitamin E added.

FDA allows the following qualified health claim for almonds: “Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as almonds, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.”

Almond milk has 60 calories per 240 ml serving, compared to 121 calories for 2% milk. Rice milk has 120 calories; plain soymilk has 100 calories. Almond milk has 2.5 grams of fat. Rice milk has 2 grams; soymilk has 4 grams, and 2% milk has 4.4 grams of fat.

Date: August 14, 2007 02:34AM

Cool...thanks.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 14, 2007 02:46AM

What is your ratio of almonds to water? I used to know, but can't remember now.

Date: August 14, 2007 10:54AM

The recipe I used was 1 cup of almonds to 3 cups water, it is a little thick, next time I will use 3.5 cups of water.

Date: August 14, 2007 03:07PM

Thanks

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 15, 2007 12:27AM

Do we leave the almonds to soak for some hours before blending and straining? I'm going to try making some tonight..my first batch.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 15, 2007 02:31AM

Cover with 2x the water and soak them over night in water. The next day, drain off the water, rinse and then put in the blender with fresh water.

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: August 15, 2007 04:14AM

A ratio that works well for me is 1/4 cup nuts or seeds (before being soaked) to 1 cup water.

Date: August 15, 2007 03:21PM

Anyone have a recipe for the almond residue?

Posted by: frances ()
Date: August 15, 2007 03:53PM

I've mixed the leftover almond pulp with other ingredients to make salad dressing in the past. I can't say exactly what ingredients, but I've used lemon juice, spices, I forget what else. I haven't made almond milk in a while, though.

Date: August 15, 2007 08:16PM

I have a recipe that uses the pulp left over from sunflower seed milk for making a cookie. Mixed with carob, and agave, its supposd to make a raw oreo. I wonder if you could substitute the almond pulp?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:42PM

I made my almond milk and it looks really cool..and tasted good too! I also need to find something to do with the almond mix left over. At times like this having a dehydrater would be good.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 17, 2007 02:00AM

I mixed the raw almond powder with some grated carrots, celery . onions peppers and made a veggie paste. I put a little Dijon mustard to spice it up.

Is mustard raw? I am thinking probably not.

Date: August 18, 2007 04:36PM

i think you could certainly make raw hot mustard ..the mustard itself is just dehydrated mustard seed ground into a powder ..easy enough to do ..

an asian receipe for mustard is

Place 1/4 cup dry mustard powder in a bowl.
Gradually stir in 1/4 cup of cold water.
Stir in 1/8 teaspoon of salad oil.
Cover the mustard and let stand for at least one hour.

Use immediately.
To store: transfer the mustard to a small jar, cover, and place in the refrigerator

some mustards have a bit of vinegar taste so you could splash a little applecider vinegar in or some other raw vinegar or wine whatever fancys yer tastebudds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2007 04:37PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: cricri ()
Date: August 19, 2007 06:19AM

Would walnuts work too? There are no raw almonds in Romania...only roasted and salted. Would the milk be still as nutricious? I don't know much about almonds, they are too expensive and not raw here.

All the raw nuts we have here are peanuts, walnuts and hazelnuts (the latter not widely available and I suppose pretty expensive).

Date: August 19, 2007 03:16PM

walnuts would work yes smiling smiley not sure what the taste would be ..hmm gonna try this season when ours are ready

cricri when are you coming to canada? do you where abouts you are gonna live? smiling smiley im in b.c. just outside of vancouver

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: August 25, 2007 05:11PM

My friend makes the best nut milk!
she uses a combination of almonds, walnuts and macademia nuts.
Then she blends in some dates and some soaked irish moss
to thicken it. Sometimes she adds some raw cacao and agave
and makes chocolate milk, or some vanilla bean to make vanilla milk.

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: September 03, 2007 04:55PM

you can use panty hose to strain it too!
as long as it's not panty hose that you wear!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2007 11:50PM

What is Irish Moss? And is there anything else you could use to thicken the milk a bit?

And I know I saw somewhere about getting the skins off of the almonds (I can't get skinless here) to make a less bitter milk. I really don't mind it in most things, but I still drink a little coffee every day and it doesn't work in that. I know i could give up the coffee completely, but I'm not there yet!

Melissa

Posted by: lthierga ()
Date: February 26, 2008 06:58PM

That is right. I make almond milk twice a week and that is how I do it. To sweeten it up a bit you can mix a banana in with it or try some dates. I prefer a banana and it is soooo gooood. I use almond milk with smoothies in the morning or I have it with sprouted cereal I get from the local market.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables