Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A better bread recipe
Posted by: cy ()
Date: August 15, 2007 01:14AM

Does anyone knows a better recipe for raw bread? I don't like any of them,with flax seed,sunflower,anyone. I would like to have a bread that I could like and eat it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A better bread recipe
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:15AM

is it the seed taste that puts you off or the texture? If it's the taste, you can try adding olive oil, garlic, herbs, tomatoes and lots and lots of onion to make a savoury bread...

Date: August 15, 2007 07:49PM

Hi Rawnoggin,thanks,but I don't know what it is. I made onion bread once and I loved it,but now I can't eat it anymore (flax seed,sunflower,braggs,onion).
I made buckwheat too and I didn't like it. I don't know.I would like to have a spelt kind of bread. Do you think I could make a spelt bread without flax and sunflower seed? Just spelt,oil,water ?maybe I have to add some veggies?What do you think?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:47PM

"Raw Essene Bread

4 cups soak wheat berries.
1/2 to 1 cup shredded zuchinni
2T Sea Salt (you may want to modify the amount)

Soak the wheat berries for 15 hours, then drain 15 hours. Grind the wheat berries and add the veggies. Mould into shape and dry in the sun for 12-24 hours (70-90 degrees F) or other marm place like the dyhyrdor or low LOW oven. The bread will probably need to be turned over.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 15, 2007 11:49PM

any of these can be done at a lower oven temp it just takes longer

Essene Bread-- For the Blood Type Diet
Recipe from Willow Alderson
alderson@edge.net
via "Uprisings: The Whole Grain Baker's Book" (1983, Bantam)

Standing somewhat apart from the mainstream of Western baking traditions are the Essene breads. Just the name seems to suggest something mysterious, even exotic, and certainly complicated to create. True, Essene bread is different from the ordinary yeasted loaves with which we are familiar, but it is also simple to prepare, exceptionally nutritious and best of all, a real taste treat.

WHAT IS IT?

With no pun intended, Essene bread is the very essence of simplicity. Its only required ingredient is sprouted grain, and you can easily sprout your own. The sprouts are ground to a doughy consistency, shaped into loaves, and baked at very low heat until crusty on the outside but still moist and chewy on the inside. Nothing else is needed: no yeast, sweeteners, flour, oil, salt, and of course, no chemical conditioners or preservatives! You can add other items to the dough (following the recommendations for your blood type) -- chopped fruit, nuts, seeds, or spices -- and they can give exciting new tastes and variety to your breads. But these ingredients are just lagniappe -- nice but not necessary. Plain Essene bread has a surprisingly sweet and nutty-rich flavor all its own. Hard whole wheat berries are used most frequently, and work extremely well. When sprouted, they become very sweet (since, through sprouting, the starches in the grains are converted to sugars) and once ground, produce a workable dough which holds together well when shaped into loaves. But other grains can be used, too, and each will have its own characteristics of taste and texture. Rye berries, for example, also become sweet when sprouted, and they have a taste distinctly different from wheat. Other possibilities can be found in the particular grain listings for your blood type. Combining different grains produces interesting new flavors.

Historically, Essene bread is one of the earliest varieties of bread. It derives its name from a recipe of the ancient Essenes as recorded in "The Essene Gospel of Peace", a 1st Century Aramaic manuscript.

The speaker is Jesus Christ: (Editor: Not found in the approved Canon of Scripture)
"'How should we cook our daily bread without fire, Master?' asked some with great astonishment. 'Let the angels of God prepare your bread. Moisten your wheat, that the angel of water may enter it. Then set it in the air, that the angel of air may also embrace it. And leave it from morning to evening beneath the sun, that the angel of sunshine may descend upon it. And the blessing of the three angels will soon make the germ of life to sprout in your wheat. Then crush your grain, and make thin wafers, as did your forefathers when they departed out of Egypt, the house of bondage. Put them back again beneath the sun from its appearing, and when it is risen to its highest in the heavens, turn them over on the other side that they be embraced there also by the angel of sunshine, and leave them there until the sun be set.'" (p. 37)

Nutritionally, Essene bread is a rich resource. Made of 100% sprouted grain, it contains much of the goodness of the sprouts themselves -- low in fat, abundant in protein, natural sugars, fiber, vitamins and minerals, all made very digestible by the presence of numerous enzymes in the sprouts. Heat is an enemy of many vital elements in food. Cooking, especially at high temperatures, can destroy high proportions of vitamins and enzymes. Because Essene bread is baked at low temperatures (200-275 F) the chance of nutrient loss is correspondingly less.

HOW TO MAKE IT

You will need a few items of basic equipment to make your Essene bread. Nothing special is required; most of the essentials will already be in your kitchen.

Containers for sprouting. Large-mouthed glass jars are ideal, but any container that holds water will work fine.

Breathable tops for the sprouting containers. A piece of fine screening or cheesecloth is best, placed over the container's mouth and secured with a strong rubber band (or you can punch holes in a screw-on lid that fits your container). Anything which will allow air and water, but not sprouts, to pass through easily is fine.

Grinder. A hand-operated food or meat grinder is the least expensive and psychologically most satisfying, but a Champion juicer or food processor works well.

Miscellaneous items. You will also need a large bowl to hold your dough, a cookie sheet, and, of course, an oven (except in the case of sun-baked or dried wafers and patties).

The ingredients are unbelievably simple. Just buy a quantity of the grain you've decided to use. But remember, the grain must be suitable for sprouting and your blood type; therefore, you need uncooked, unsprayed, WHOLE berries. Neither cracked wheat nor pearled barley, for example, will sprout. Hard red winter wheat works extremely well, and is very inexpensive when bought in bulk from your local food co-op or natural foods store.

To sprout the berries, follow these simple steps:

Measure the desired amount of berries. 1 cup berries gives you about 2 cups of dough.

Soak berries overnight in the sprouting container, using twice the berries' volume of water.

In the morning, drain off the soaking water through the breathable tops. (Pour the water on your plants. They love the nutrients.)

Place the jar in a dark place, and rinse with cool water twice each day. (Yes, I take my jar to the office with me!) Drain thoroughly. This helps make the sprouts less prone to spoilage. Occasionally, shake the jar vigorously to keep the roots from matting together into a solid, unmanageable clump. Sprouts are ready when the sprout "hairs" are about twice as long as the berry -- usually 2-1/2 to 3 days after soaking -- and have a mild, sweet taste. Skip the last rinse before grinding so the berries won't be too moist.

To make your dough, take the sprouts when they have reached the right length, and put them through the grinder. (Oiling the grinder parts [again, with the appropriate oil for your blood type] before use helps prevent sticking.) The result should be a juicy, sticky dough that is mottled light and dark in color; the consistency is similar to raw hamburger. The dough is ready to use as soon as it emerges from the grinder. If you can't continue at that point, wrap the dough tightly with food wrap and refrigerate. Also, if you are going to add nuts or fruit to the dough, now's the time. Soaking dried fruit first (20-30 minutes in hot water) will give the fruit a pleasing, juicy texture. To shape the loaves, wet your hands well and take a quantity of dough; one large handful will make a nice roll, while a big, two-handed scoop will give you a loaf. Work the dough briefly with your hands to produce a smooth surface and to insure that there are no air pockets inside. No kneading is required. Shape into round loaves with slightly flattened tops. Re-wet your hands (and working surface, if necessary) before handling each new loaf. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. These are now ready to bake. To bake Essene bread, place in a 200-275 F degree oven for about 2-3 hours (less for rolls), until the outside is firm and the bottom, though not hard, is firm enough to spring back after a gentle prod with the thumb. The inside will be quite soft -- a firmer texture develops as it cools. Essene can actually be baked at a wide variety of temperatures, from as low as 120 degrees for 8-10 hours up to 300 degrees. Bear in mind that if you bake the loaves too long, they will tend to dry out on the inside. Also, baking at too high a temperature will tend to overcook the outside of the loaves. And both of these probably cause excessive loss of nutrients. To help prevent drying out, some bakeries spray the loaves with water both before and during baking. For storage, let the loaves cool on a wire rack after removing from the oven (try not to eat it all while still warm!) When completely cold, store in sealed plastic bags. If you're going to eat your Essene bread within 3-4 days, keep it out of the refrigerator as it will stay moister that way. Otherwise, refrigerate: it will keep up to 4 weeks. Essene bread can also be frozen.

Marge wrote

A client wrote saying her daughter had been put on a special diet, and the only bread she can eat is Ezekiel bread. She didn't give any more details (I'll get some!) but asked if I knew of a source for a recipe. Thought someone here might have it.

Well, I used to eat this a lot back in the 70's, when I sold it at the HF store... I used to have recipes for it, (also called Essene bread), but they went in the fire.. I did a search, and found a few recipes. I found also a link to someone who was selling a recipe for $2...but I do not think I will post that one...though I do have it. There is quite a bit of info here, so I will just post it here as I found it. Sorry to not post all the links...but there were so many bad links that I got a bit sloppy. I found these using Inference find, and Dogpile searches...and I found quite a bit at an MIT site! Also...it can be found in the freezer section of good HF stores, and can also be bought by the case on the internet. Cheaper, but shipping is expensive.

Joanie

Sprouted Essene Bread

Moisten your wheat that the angel of water may enter it"

* Essene Gospel of Peace

The Essenes were an ascetic community that influenced the early Christian church. They were expert bakers of sprouted breads, a technique that produces a sweet, moist, cakelike bread without honey, eggs, or oil. This recipe was in the manuscripts discovered as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

6 cups hard durum wheat
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
kernels (available in 1/2 cup almonds or walnuts health food stores)
(optional)10 cups water

Use a large sprouter from a health food store or several large jars and porous covering material for the tops, such as cheesecloth or clean metal screening. Use four 1-quart jars, putting 1 1/2 cups of wheat kernels and 2 1/2 cups of water in each jar. Cover the top with a piece of cloth or screening large enough to overlap the edge by an inch or two. Fasten the top tightly around the neck of each jar with a rubber band, or string, or if using canning jars, the outer canning band without the center disk. Leave kernels in water overnight and drain through the strainer top in the morning.

After 8 hours, rinse the wheat with water and drain immediately without removing the cloth covering. Continue rinsing and draining the sprouts 2 to 3 times a day for the next 2 to 4 days. The sprouts will vary in length. When the sprouts are about as long as the kernel, they are ready to use. Two cups of kernels will expand to about 4 1/2 cups of sprouts.

Use a food processor with metal blade or meat grinder to grind the sprouts into a smooth, sticky mass. Grind 2 cups at one time for about 3 minutes. With a food processor the dough will first become very smooth, then ball up and break apart. Watch carefully. Immediately after it forms a ball, take out of the food processor or grinder and add nuts or raisins as desired.

Shape into 2 or more round loaves.
Place on a well oiled baking sheet.
Cover and let rest for an hour.
Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 300 F. or 3 to 4 hours at 250 F.

Some cooks feel that the longer, slower baking temperatures preserve the freshness of the sprouted wheat. Up to an additional 30 minutes of baking time may be needed to brown the crust. This bread keeps well and is better if kept a day or two before serving.

Sprouted Ezekiel Bread

"Take for yourself wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet and spelt and put them into one vessel and make bread of them for yourself"-Ezekiel 4:9

Ezekiel bread is one of the most specific recipes of the Scriptures. Bible readers will notice that it is not intended as a delicacy for a joyous occasion. Rather, it was an emergency survival food to be prepared during the dire straits of the Babylonian conquest. This version uses all Ezekiel's ingredients except spelt, an inferior wheat no longer available. The passage suggests that the bread may have been sprouted.

3/4 cup hard winter wheat kernels
1/8 cup chickpeas
1/8 cup lentils
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup barley flour

Sprout and grind wheat kernels, chickpeas, and lentils, following instructions in the Sprouted Essene Bread recipe. Add the millet and barley flour (millet and barley do not easily sprout). Shape the dough into 5 or 6 individual patties. Put on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 2 hours in an oven preheated to 200 F. Brush tops with water to retain moisture. Turn and bake for another 1 1/2 hours at 250 F. Serve warm.

Recipe By : adapted directly from Ezekiel 4:9
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories : Bread Hand Made whole Grain Cereal Bread

Amount Measurement Ingredient Preparation Method
2 1/2 cups whole wheat
1 1/2 cups whole rye
1/2 cup barley
1/4 cup millet
1/4 cup lentils
2 Tbsp great northern beans (uncooked)
2 Tbsp red kidney beans (uncooked)
2 Tbsp pinto beans (uncooked)
2 cups lukewarm water
divided 1/2 cup honey PLUS 1 teaspoon honey
divided 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon active dry yeast 1 teaspoon salt

Measure and combine all the above ingredients in a large bowl. Put this mixture into a flour mill and grind. The flour should be the consistency of regular flour. Coarse flour may cause digestion problems. This makes eight cups of flour. Use four cups per batch of bread.

Measure four cups of flour into a large bowl. Store the remaining flour mixture in the freezer for future use.

Measure one cup lukewarm water (110-115 degrees) in a small mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of the honey and the yeast, stir to dissolve the yeast, cover and set aside, allowing the yeast to rise for five to ten minutes. In a small mixing bowl, combine the following: olive oil, 1/2 cup honey and remaining cup of warm water. Mix well and add this to the flour mixture in the large bowl. Add the yeast to the bowl and stir until well mixed. The mixture should be the consistency of slightly "heavy" cornbread. Spread the mixture evenly in a 11by15 inch pan sprayed with no-cholesterol cooking oil. Let the mixture rise for one hour in a warm place.

Bake at 375 degrees for approximately thirty minutes. Check for doneness. Bread should be the consistency of baked cornbread.

This recipe has been adapted directly from Ezekiel 4:9
Ezekiel bread #2
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time: 0:00

Categories : Bread Hand Made Whole Grain Cereal Bread

Amount Measurement Ingredient Preparation Method
2 1/2 cups hard red wheat
1 1/2 cups spelt or rye
1/2 cup hulled barley
1/2 cup millet
1/4 cup green lentils
2 tablespoons great northern beans
2 tablespoons red kidney beans
2 tablespoons pinto beans
4 cups lukewarm water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoons Red Star Yeast
2 teaspoons salt

Stir the first ingredients very well. Grind in flour mill. Then measure the next ingredients into large bowl. Set aside for 3-5 minutes to allow yeast to grow. Then add the salt and the fresh milled flour to yeast mixture. Stir until well kneaded about 10 minutes. This is a batter type bread and will not form a smooth ball. Pour dough into greased pans. You may use 2 large loaf pans or 3 med. loaf pans or 2-9x13 pans. Let rise in a warm place for one hour or until the dough is almost to the top of the pan. If it rises too much it will over flow the pan while baking. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes for loaf pans and 35-40 minutes for 9x13 pans.

From "Recipes to Lower your Fat Thermostat" - This bread takes its name from an ancient brotherhood in Palestine.

Essene BREAD
3 cups sprouted wheat
1/4 cup raisins

Grind sprouts in meat grinder. Add raisins. Form into a loaf on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake at 225 (F) for 2-2.5 hours. Cool before serving. Yield: 8 slices.

(Julian Macassey said)

I made this bread in the late 70s from a recipe in Mother Earth News I think.
From memory: 2 cups of wheat berries (whole, unground wheat). Place in bowl, cover with water, with about an inch of water above the wheat and sprout for about two days - I sprouted mine in the kitchen cabinet. After it has started to sprout, drain off excess water and form into a ball. Bake for about 45 Minutes at about 375 F.

This is an unleavened, unkneaded bread, it is easy to make. It is a heavy bread, like Danish rye, a little goes a long way.

Date: August 15, 2007 11:50PM

Essene Bread

2 Cups Soaked Wheat Berries = 4 cups sprouted
2 /tbs. honey
1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
Soak wheat berries in 4 cups water for 6-12 hrs. Rinse and drain. Stand at 45 degree angle in a screen or mesh covered jar. Do not let the seeds cover the mouth of the jar. Rinse mornings and evenings until sprouted tails are as long as grain.

Grind sprouted wheat berries in the food processor until dough chases itself around. Scrape the sides and add honey and sea salt.

Split in half and press into round flat crusts no more than ½ inch thick on work surface. Dehydrate in dehydrator at 110 degrees or full sun for 12 hours, flip and dry until the bread is pliable and not dried hard.

*Do not refrigerate, this will make the bread stale, store in a plastic bag. It can also be frozen.

Date: August 15, 2007 11:50PM

Bread:
1 cup Golden Flax Seeds
2 tablespoons Tahini
dash Sea Salt

Make the “Bread” by grinding the Flax Seeds in a blender to a fine powder. Place powder in a bowl and, mixing very well, add tahini and sea salt. Use a fork to form a flat square on a plate with the mixture and cut diagonally with a knife and seperate the two halves.

It's from Bryan Au’s book Raw in Ten Minutes which i haven't seen but am interested in checking out now.

Date: August 15, 2007 11:51PM

Such a Sunny Rye Bread
4* cups rye berries (soaked 8-12 hours, rinsed; sprouted 12-24 hours) [I sprout closer to 12 hours than to 24.]
2* cups sunflower seeds (soaked 8-12 hours, rinsed)
2-1/2 teaspoons ground caraway seeds
2-1/2 teaspoons ground dill seed
2 teaspoons vege-sal or Spike
*measurements of sprouted rye berries & soaked sunflower seeds are after they've been soaked and sprouted (rye berries) or soaked (sunflower seeds).
If you're a regular sprouter you'll easily be able to coordinate the sunflower seeds and the rye berries - I soak the rye berries for 8-12 hours, then rinse them, then leave them to sprout and at that point soak the sunflower seeds so that the sunflower seeds are soaking 8-12 hours while the rye berries are sprouting approx. 12 hours.
Preparation:
Put all ingredients in a bowl and stir to distribute spices.
Put the mixture through the Green Power machine using the blank screen and without the outlet adjusting knob (homogenizing). For the Champion you would also use the blank screen (homogenizing).
Form into loaves (not more than 1-1/2 inches thick) and dehydrate 6-16 hours. We usually form it into 2 medium-size loaves or 4-6 little loaves. The resulting bread is crunchy on outside, moist on inside and nice and fermenty tasting - a little like rye-sourdough.

Wheat Essene Bread with Raisins and Dates
2 cups sprouted wheat berries (with little tails - less than 1/4 inch long)
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup soaked raisins
Preparation:
Stir all ingredients together.
Put the mixture through the Green Power machine using the blank screen and without the outlet adjusting knob (homogenizing). For the Champion you would also use the blank screen (homogenizing).
Form into loaves (not more than 1-1/2 inches thick) and dehydrate 6-16 hours. We usually form it into 2 small loaves. The resulting bread is crunchy on outside, moist on inside and sweet.
I've been experimenting with essene breads for 4 years and have finally gotten the knack of it. I tried every recipe I came across and have come up with 2 easy favorites - a rye-sunflower and a wheat-raisin. Oat-sunflower is good too. The trick seems to be 1)getting the proportions right 2) really grinding the sprouted grains 3) dehydrating them at low, low temperatures - like 80 degrees max. If the recipes are not on the website, let me know and I will e-mail them to you.
The results will be like you described - a bit harder on outside, a bit sticky on inside - depending on temp and ability to really grind the stuff (the lower the temp, the less the difference between outside and inside ). Also I like to let mine kind of ferment a bit so the inside is sometimes like seed cheese.
Of course grains, complex recipes and dehydrating are controversial. However I think essene breads you sprout yourself and dehydrate in sun or low temp are still better for the body than 1)essene breads you buy in health food store (which I think must be cooked at 200 or something) and 2) "real" baked bread.

Date: August 15, 2007 11:52PM

Raw Seed Cheese Bread
3/4 cup organic wheat berries
1/4 cup organic rye
1 handful fresh coriander
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 to 1 cup of sunflower seed cheese WHEY (not the cheese!)

Sprout or soak grains (I sprout them for 1 or 2 days).

Make plain sunflower seed cheese. Add the whey you get to the sprouts. Save the cheese. The whey will give a sour taste. Just be careful of not adding to much because bread will turn to a bitter taste that I do not like very much. Here is where you will need a little practice.

Add garlic and coriander.

Put all ingredients in a food processor. I usually use a food processor because I prefer not to get a homogeneous mix. I have found that a less blended batter (with some grains not chopped) dehydrates faster and tastes a lot better. But the mix has to be blended enough to hold together.

Spread batter to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and dehydrate to desired consistency. I like to just partially dehydrate it, leaving the outer parts dried and moist inside.
Note: Sometimes I use other ingredients as celery, zucchini, nori, black pepper, etc

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:51AM

A lot of people have told me they really like Matt Amsden's recipe for Raw Onion Bread in his raw cookbook RAWVOLUTION. It looks super easy and tasty.
So do the rest of his recipes..

enjoy.

love
peace
courage
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: August 16, 2007 04:32AM

I've made the onion bread and it's amazing!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2007 10:29PM

What's the recipe for it, you have it on hand?

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: August 17, 2007 07:41AM

Ingredients:
3 yellow onions, large ( I used 2 instead)
1 cup flax seeds (golden, brown or a combo), ground
1 cup raw sunflower seeds, ground in a food processor
½ cup Braggs or Nama Shoyu ( I used Nama Shoyu)
¼ cup cold pressed olive oil

Preparation:
Peel and half the onions. Slice in a food processor (with slicing disc). ( I jsut chopped them finely using S blade) Place onions in large bowl and mix with rest of ingredients until thoroughly combined. Spread mix over a Teflex sheet and repeat until all of mixture is used. Dehydrate at 100°F for 24 hours. Flip and return to dehydrator for 12 hours. Cut into 9 equal pieces (2 cuts horizontally, 2 cuts vertically). Usually makes 18 pieces.

Date: August 17, 2007 11:47AM

Thanks guys,I'll try the Essene Bread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables