Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fresh Garbanzo beans
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 16, 2006 08:24AM

Hi,

thought I'd say that it's Garbanzo Bean season again and they can be bought fresh at some stores and markets (mainly latino or middle-easten), at least in California any way. They taste way better than the dried/sprouted bean. I think I'll make some raw hummas with them (if I don't eat 'em all first). winking smiley

Cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Hummus = Love
Posted by: squidmafia ()
Date: April 18, 2006 01:39PM

Being a huge chickpea fan, I'm curious as to what fresh garbanzo beans look like? Do they come pre-packaged or do you just buy them in bulk?

I've started to sprout the little guys and they're nice and crunchy in salads, but I miss the ol' garbanzo flavor!

Re: Fresh Garbanzo beans
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 18, 2006 03:48PM

Can we eat raw Garbanzo beans or do we have to sprout them first?

Re: Hummus = Love
Date: April 18, 2006 04:08PM

Hi Squidmafia,

Fresh Garbanzo beans like look Edamame, but maybe slightly fatter. Pop them open and you'll find one or two yummy beans inside. I find the dried and sprouted ones too bitter and starchy, but these are very yummy.

I still need to try and make some hummus with them.

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: April 18, 2006 04:12PM

Hi Isabelle,

Yes we can eat raw Garbanzo beans without sprouting them (I eat a half LB right out the shells two days ago). I've not tried sprouting fresh Garbanzo beans, but have tried sprouting dried Garbanzo beans and didn't really like them.

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: May 15, 2006 05:48PM

Hi,

I couldn't find the pre-packed fresh garbanzo beans I'd been buying earlier this year, but the store I'd buying them from got loose/bulk garbonzo beans in. But they wheren't as good, the shells where a paler green, some yellow, i think this because they are older, anyway, they tasted a little bitter and starchy (kind of like sprouted dried garbanzos, but not that bad) and I didn't like them as much.

So, when buying fresh garbanzo beans, pick the ones with nice green shells rather than pale or yellow shells. The green ones will taste almost sweet, where as the paler/yellow ones will taste starchy and a little bitter.

Cheers,
Ian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables