Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

psyllium powder
Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: August 19, 2007 03:09PM

I have a recipe that calls for 3 Tablespoons of psyllium powder to thicken 4 cups of blended blueberries.

Is there anything else I could use besides psyllium as the thickening agent?

-Smile

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: psyllium powder
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: August 20, 2007 04:09AM

what are you making? cause to thicken a fruit pie i made w/ blueberries, i blended some banana and it worked great after an hour of refridgeraion.

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: August 20, 2007 09:45PM

Under the subject 'Raw Transformation' I gave the recipe for Blueberry Dreambars. It's the blueberry portion of that recipe that needs thickening.

Maybe I could try dehydrating the puree a bit to make it more 'jammy'.

What in the heck is psyllium powder anyway!?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2007 09:48PM by smilebig.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 21, 2007 08:38AM

it's made from psyllium husks. A good fibre/bulking agent. If you put some in a glass of juice, the husks swell (you can make a jelly out of a spoon of it mixed with a glass of apple juice).

It's *almost* tasteless.

You can find it in your health food shop near where they keep the lecithin.

You'll see it as part of many cleansing courses.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 21, 2007 09:22AM

i hate psyllium, particularly if i have been eating very "cleanly". I can taste it in foods and it hurts my stomach. I don't see how it's authentically processed raw either, regardless of whatever raw genius annointed psyllium a raw food product. Flax seeds ground up can be used to firm things up and if you are open to a slight semi-cooked percentage in your raw dish many, many raw foodist I know prefer to use agar seaweed flakes in a little hot water as their "gelatin" thickening substitute. Agar is a traditional Macrobiotic ingredient used for healing in a recipe called Kanten, which is esential fresh fruit, fruit juice and agar. You combine it all to make a fresh jello-like dessert that is very alkalizing. Agar only disolves in very hot/boiling water. If you drink hot tea or coffee it needs a temperature like that to disolve well w/o lumpiness.
personally speaking i would rather play with agar than psyllium. psyllium is a cheap fiber bulking agent. When used in its traditional role as a fiber laxative, it causes tremendous abdominal bloating, gas and constipation. Most natural healers I know advise against using psyllium seeds or psyllium based cleansing products for detox cleanses because of these adverse reactions. Given all that, why put it in one's food i say? smiling smiley

irish moss is also used in raw cooking but like agar it is not 100% raw - it can't really be used 100% perfectly raw. but it is natural and is an alternative gelling agent.

peace
joy
love
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 21, 2007 01:34PM

I thought psyllium carried nutrients out of the body... was surprised to see it in a recipe.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 21, 2007 02:43PM

Yeah, me too, aqua! I've only ever used it for what it says on the tin :-)

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:46PM

this is where i thought the irish moss might work

Posted by: voofie ()
Date: February 05, 2013 08:29PM

Psyllium powder is a natural thickener that is used sparingly in making some raw food recipes such as lemon pudding. Yes, psyllium powder does have a unique flavor, but it helps maintain healthy cholesterol and blood lipid levels.

Those of us living on a raw food diet never want to use any foods heated above 104F degrees in order to preserve the living enzymes, which are responsible for the healing properties of a raw diet. Psyllium does not require boiling to thicken recipes,and when used sparingly is generally undetected.

Ani Phyo has a wonderful "Luscious Lemon Pudding" on page 74 of herbook "ani's raw kitchen" that I use psyllium in, among others.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 06, 2013 12:49AM

Reminds me of a funny little private joke. I worked in a small health food store for several years. My co-worker and I used to have this customer who was like a stereotypical lunkhead weight-lifting type (no offense to this ilk, LOL). He would always come in and say: "Where's the FUH-sillium?" winking smiley
eye rolling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables