Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A fruitless diet!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 08, 2007 11:48AM

I am a dairy intolerant vegetarian who has just been told that I cannot eat fruit anymore due to a medical condition.

Does anyone have any hints on what foods I can substitute fruit with as I am loath to use supplements as they are a rip off and your body only absorbs about 25% of it.

Any help appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A fruitless diet!
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: September 08, 2007 12:24PM

I have had to decrease (well pretty much eliminate) my consumption of fruits for a while for two reasons: multiple allergies and trying to Candida cleanse. You would be amazed how much nutrition is available in vegetables, grains and sprouts.

Before I offer suggestions here is something for you to consider...has your practitioner determined the root cause of your intolerance to dairy and/or fruits. Most traditional medicine deals with and only treats symptoms not root cause. For example, converting to raw brought out a mass of food allergies in me. I could treat those allergy symptoms and avoid all these foods (the list is long and keeps growing) forever but I would be miserable. For many people, food allergies/intolerances are a sign of a "clogged" liver and/or gallbladder or a Candida overgrowth problem, or a combination of issues. Are these my problems? I don't know. I am going to an osteopathic clinic next week that I have heard rave reviews about to take care of the root cause.

Here are some recipe books I have found extremely helpful where I am using recipes that don't include fruit: The Raw Gourmet by N. Shannon (probably the best), Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People by J. Cornbleet, The Raw Food Detox Diet by N. Rose (excellent for explaining transition if you want to convert to raw), and The Raw Food Gourmet by G. Chavez.

Because of all my allergy limitations and to slow down my own detox somewhat in an attempt to slow the allergy issues I have added some cooked food back. I might eat some cooked sweet potato, acorn squash, baked potato with 1-2 Tbsp coconut or sesame oil as a topping, This could be any meal. A regular staple in my diet is sunflower pate and zucchini hummus (recipes from Raw Food Made Easy). I often marinate a bunch of raw cut-up vegetables (zucchini, cucumber, carrots, squash, broccoli) in a homemade marinade or vinagrette. I sprout my own mung beans, alfalfa, broccoli, etc to eat. Based on a recommendation by another member here I don't eat more than 1 salad a day - sometimes it is breakfast. You can make wonderful sandwiches with sprouted grain bread, avocado, sprouts, tomato. Use a large geen leaf (like Romaine) and make a roll up with that - hummus, alfalfa, grated carrot, cucumber.

"Breakfast in a Blender" (can be eaten any time): 1/2 cucumber, 2 large handfuls spinach, 3/4 C chopped broccoli, 1 lemon or lime or 1/2 grapefruit, 1/3 cup ground flax seed, 1 cup sprouts, 1 Tbsp Udo's oil (I have even used olive oil), add water to achieve desired consistency. Put in a blender and blend away. I sometimes add a little Stevia or Aquave Nectar to cut the lemon a little. I use a food processor to make because my blender couldn't handle this unless I chop more. I got this recipe somewhere and I think it also calls for a tomatillo but I never use it. Modify it as you like.

Tahini is loaded with amino acids and good fats. I don't know if you can eat avocado but those are fantastic too. (I can't have them right now). Can you have nuts? Almonds are packed with nutrition. I found a protein supplement in the store by Naturade that is all vegetable (non soy, non wheat, non yeast) made from pea and potato proteins. It is vegan and vegetarian. I don't know if you juice but you can add this to your juices to pick up the calories and nutrition if you need it.

Sorry for the length. I don't know if this helps. As many people on here can tell you, what works for one might not work for another. The "experimental process" is an unfortunate necessity toward achieving your best health. If you have a question about something I wrote please respond.

Oh, since I have removed most (hard to get out all) of the allergy-inducing foods I have noticed an unbelievable difference and I am 95% fruit-free. I miss some fruit and I really miss avocados.

Good Luck.

Patty

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 08, 2007 01:42PM

Can you eat non-sweet fruits like cukes, tomatoes, peppers, etc?

That's all I eat now and I eat them for nearly every meal (plus yams and lemon juice)... yummm!

Date: September 08, 2007 01:51PM

Oops, yes I can eat those. Even though they are genetically "fruit" I still always tend to think of them as vegetables.

Do you have a juicer? blender? food processor?

Patty

Date: September 08, 2007 01:58PM

Aquadeco, sorry I answered your question. I wasn't sure if it was for me or for sharkie.

Sharkie, the question about what kitchen gadgets you have is for you.

Patty

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 11, 2007 05:44AM

I just threw the idea out there because I can't eat sweet fruits yet either. (to me that means I have a long way to go back to good health.)

But the non-sweet fruits are delicious.

According to Bryan (8-1-1 book), we need the carbs from sweet fruit for energy and I find that's what I'm having the hardest time with - craving carbs. So I eat yams too.

I also make smoothies with lots of parsley, kale or lettuce, a couple of dates and a small amount of tahini.

Date: September 12, 2007 12:38PM

Patty,

Thank you so much for all your help.

Basically the problem I have with fruit is the natural sugar in them. Effectively if I eat 'sweet' fruits, I may as well have a pound of sugar as my metabolism can't break down.

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years now, so am quite familiar with veg (however your idea about Romaine lettuce as a wrap was fantastic!)
My dairy intolerance is a hereditary condition that both my mother and my sister had (Crohns disease).

From a health perspective , I am healthy, but the last few weeks I am deffo missing something as I am constantly cold.

I have been to dieticians (Britich Health Service), who quite frankly look at me with pity and shrug their shoulders when I ask for advise.

Next step, go private!!

Thanks for everything

Date: September 12, 2007 12:40PM

HI THERE,

Yep, I am OK with non sweet fruits, and eat them constantly. During the day I live on cucumber, peppers , cherry tomatoes and raw peppers.

Everyone else brings cakes to the office, I offer out tomatoes!

Date: September 12, 2007 12:42PM

Yep,

I have a blender that is due for an update!

I also find that I actually look forwadr to winter now so i can make big chunky soups with lots of beans, pulses and veg. I try not to blend to much as blending can change the GI of stuff such as potatoes.

Posted by: pradiata ()
Date: October 05, 2007 09:41PM

sharkie,

I've just picked up a book you might be interested in called "Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine" by Gabriel Cousens. I've only started reading it, a lot of the information is quite dense, but I'm finding it really educational.

He has different diet phases in it (I, I.5, II) where I is without sugars (fruit) and some other things, and II is broader spectrum, and many recipes to go with. He has tips on converting recipes, and a good amount of interesting dietary info (about the first 1/3 of the book). Lots of yummy looking recipes - I've made a few and they've turned out really well.

Emily

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables