Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Absolute Must Haves
Posted by: FrogQueen ()
Date: April 21, 2006 11:25PM

I will be relocating temporarily (4 1/2 months) and I am a raw neophite with very little equipment. I have an el-cheapo dehydrator( which I don't like), a mandolin slicer, a chef magic chopper, a mini food processor, and a mini blender (magic bullet type).

If you where temporarily relocating what MUST you ABSOLUTELY HAVE with you?

And since I've mentioned my dehydrator... has anyone used the Living Foods Dehydrator and how do you like it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Absolute Must Haves
Posted by: newbie ()
Date: April 23, 2006 02:27AM

food processor

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 06, 2006 01:42AM

frog queen,

the only dehydrator you'll ever need is an excalibur dehydrator. Buy it direct from their site and they offer lay-a-way and a ten year warranty. I have the 9 tray one with the 24 hour time, which they created specifically for raw foodists. It also has a thermostat as well.

Cheers,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 29, 2006 05:44PM

If I were moving, I would take my
Excalibur dehydrator
VitaMix
Champion juicer
small Braun food processor/blender combo

After that, I would see to the clothes and furniture.

The last time I moved across country, in addition to the above, I carried my massage table (it does nicely as a bed), and some clothes. That was all that would fit in the car. (Okay, so I did UPS all of my books, which sat stacked until I got shelves)

If I were going overseas on a budget again, I would pare that down to the the Vitamix and the Braun with a suitcase worth of all-purpose clothes. Most dehydrator recipes are just stiff pate, anyway, although I do love my crackers.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 05, 2006 10:31AM

if i were you i'd take the magic bullet thingie.

but if i were me i'd take my omega 8003 juicer/homogenizer thingie. =)

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 07, 2006 02:00AM

#1: Powerful blender, such as a vitamix or Champ HP3, or Infinity blender if you can afford the vitamix or HP3).

#2: Food Processor (large, 14 cup)

#3: Juicer - Omega 8003/8005.

#4: Dehydrator.

Its best to minimize the amount of dehydrated foods one eats. Freshest is Bestest.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: November 19, 2006 04:49PM

For me the #1 must have is a good and large blender, preferably the HP3 Champ or Vitamix. #2 is a good water distiller or water purifier.

Blending greens for green smoothies (I call 'em green drinks) has become my main thing...

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 27, 2012 11:29PM

Ressurecting a verrry old thread! After two months being raw, the following is the equipment I found myself using daily and so consider them must have (plus what it is used for):

1. blender (smoothies, nut milk, some soups)

2. food processor (tough vegetables, soaked nuts/seeds, dried fruits, oils, and soups and mixtures and sauces out of those)

3. hand blender (small portions of dips and sauces, banana ice-cream)

4. juicer (fruit and veg juices, nut milk)

5. pestel and mortar (seeds)

6. mandoline (zucchini pasta and quick salads)

7. RO unit (water)

I don't dehydrate, as I would rather spend my calories allowance on fresh foodssmiling smiley Am going to try and dehydrate eventually something, such as pizza crust, and for that I'll use our oven (it can do 50C and is a fan oven).

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 11:36PM by chat.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 28, 2012 03:38AM

I have a vitamix that I am very happy to have.
The dehydrator I am also happy to have but don't make regular use of, it's still wonderful for kid food, for snacks, for feeding people who are new to raw, etc.
A Berkey water filter.
A very good, sharp knife and a large bamboo cutting board.
A grater, the regular metal A shaped sort.
I have a spiral slicer that I am very happy to have though it also sees infrequent use, when I do want it nothing else will do.
I'm thinking of a food processor again for pates etc.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 29, 2012 10:24PM

for real must haves, I'd take the blender, leave the juicer and keep the dehydrator. If I were barebones, I'd take the dehydrator over the juicer as long as I had a blender. some see it different.

Paul

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 30, 2012 08:45AM

Duh, I forgotten to add to the list:

8. sprouter trays (sprouting seeds!)

I guess in my case these contraptions are a "must have" in the sense that I use them every day or virtually every day with my raw diet.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: November 23, 2012 07:08AM

I'd take the food processor as #1, because you can make thick smoothie-like concoctions in it as well as pretty quick recipes that involve chopping. I have a dehydrator but don't use it much except to dry out fruits and veggies I don't want to go bad. I have a juicer, too, but it's so much work to clean, which deters me from using it much.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables