Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

anyone else love LARABARS??
Posted by: frumpy18 ()
Date: September 17, 2007 09:49PM

just wondering - I think they are great - what do you experienced raw fooders think?
Kelly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone else love LARABARS??
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 19, 2007 04:24PM

i always travel with larabars-
but i don't eat them at home.

they're like snickers or hersheys to me.
delicious, but not as nutritious as fruit and veggies.

i don't like some of them (cherry pie, or cashew cookie) but generally find them a fun and easy diversion from my fresh foods, and a nice treat.

esp the cacao rich ones now.... yum.

peace-

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 20, 2007 05:11PM

I like this bar on occasion also [www.amazon.com].

They are mostly good for a backup plan in my purse on an outing in case my blood sugar starts crashing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2007 11:38PM

I use larabars as a "back up" too. If I have to go into the city to meet with a client, there's a chance I can get stuck hungry. Nothing like being on a stuck train in the middle of Boston while you are starving!

I also keep a small baggie of dried fruit and raw nuts that are good if i want something but won't eat a whole bar.

Melissa

Posted by: Shubby ()
Date: September 21, 2007 12:52AM

Just tried them this weekend. The chocolate one is great.

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: October 04, 2007 03:50AM

i love cashew cookie but i dont eat them anymore because they dont make me feel very good!

bananas are really portable and i always have one in my purse (lol).

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 04, 2007 01:58PM

I like them but they make me sick - they're not all raw and cashews have never agreed with me, though I love the taste. I like the cherry one, but they make my teeth hurt.

Posted by: Peony ()
Date: October 04, 2007 02:17PM

I was beginning to feel like the only one who doesn't care for these. I used to like the coconut/chocolate one, but anymore, the taste doesn't sit well with me and I get "oogy" feeling! :-) I like bananas too. Or, living fudge that I make.... Oh yeah!!!

Date: August 27, 2009 09:23PM

As aquadecoco says, Larabars are not all raw. Even their labels admit that some of the bars are only 60-90% raw. Maybe the other flavors used to be 100% raw, as the label still implies, but not anymore.

I got to wondering whether the requirement that California-grown almonds must be pasteurized has had any effect on Larabars, so I emailed them, and got this reply: "Almonds are dry steamed processed or injected with propylene oxide (two different suppliers)." So their almonds are either cooked or poisoned -- take your pick!

Near as I recall, all Larabar flavors contain either almonds or cashews, and the general scuttlebutt is that cashews aren't really raw either, since virtually all cashews are heated to make them easier to peel.

Come to think of it, if they're not conscientious enough to make sure that the almonds in their "100% raw" bars are actually raw, it's hard to believe that they'd be any more careful with the dried fruit. The charts that came with both of my dehydrators recommend drying all fruit at 135 degrees, so I suspect that a lot of commercially-available dried fruit is not really raw. It's possible that most Larabars don't contain any raw ingredients! But that's just my paranoia talking.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: August 31, 2009 02:54AM

I was never impressed with Larabars. Way to tiny and does nothing to satisfy hunger. Way better raw bars & other snacks available. Unfortunately they're not usually in the stores.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: September 12, 2009 01:57AM

my fave is the peanut butter/jelly. yeah baby

Posted by: Clairebear ()
Date: January 09, 2010 06:34PM

I like them when other people are eating something that smells very good, they are like cookies, yum.

Date: January 10, 2010 08:53PM

I really like these as an alternative to all the processed bars out there. I especially like the cherry pie...

Date: January 11, 2010 04:58PM

So,if they arent 100% raw - are there any alternatives that are 100%?

Posted by: RawRaw ()
Date: January 13, 2010 04:17PM

yuck i dont like these either.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: January 13, 2010 06:07PM

Some of the many raw bars:
Love Force Bars, Kookie Karma, Gopal's, Awesome Foods, Baraka Bars, Kaia Foods, Jake's Unbaked, Wildbar, Aimee's Livin' Magic plus chocolate bars & tons of other types of snacks like granola, cookies, etc.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: jeni jolt ()
Date: January 18, 2010 07:47PM

I have been curious about the pasteurization of almonds lately.
Many stores still sell "raw" almonds like Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
Rainbow Grocery (in San Francisco) has some almonds imported and they cost twice as much. I wonder if the Whole Foods almonds are really raw. Probably not huh. And that chemical sounds pretty scary. Maybe its time to eat more walnuts and brazil nuts...

I used to like Lara Bars, but I agree that they are not too filling and they make me gassy (combining dried fruit and nut does not work well with me & maybe cuz the nuts are not soaked?) Also, nobody has mentioned this but they are NOT ORGANIC.

It is so easy to make a Lara Bar type thing at home. You can make a bunch of it and eat it all week..and it can be organic & you will save money..( I think)

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: January 18, 2010 08:29PM

I have been curious about the pasteurization of almonds lately.
Many stores still sell "raw" almonds like Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
Rainbow Grocery (in San Francisco) has some almonds imported and they cost twice as much. I wonder if the Whole Foods almonds are really raw. Probably not huh. And that chemical sounds pretty scary. Maybe its time to eat more walnuts and brazil nuts...

Whole Foods had a note up on their bulk almonds last year that said the almonds would all be pasteurized as per California law.

Don't they get the shells off of most nuts, even those marketed as raw, by boiling or steaming them?

Date: January 23, 2010 02:43AM

Yes I get for those times when nothing else is at hand. Which isn't very often.
Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables