Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chia Seed Pudding
Posted by: rubyjewel ()
Date: September 19, 2007 01:29PM

Greetings fellow health food seekers, here's a pretty quick and tasy recipies (at least I think so) That I wish to share with you. I use pine nut milk for it but you could probably use any of your favorite nuts. I soak the pine nuts for 30 minutes or much longer like 6 hours. Then take a couple handfuls of the pine nuts, put them in blender with water (about 2-3 times as much water as pine nuts). Add vanilla,a sweetner ( I used honey once and agave another time) both work well you can also use both! if you eat honey that is). You could also add whatever other spices you might be in the mood for. I also added gogi berries and tocos. Then blend that up for a nice milk, put in bowl and mix in desired amount of chia seeds. For a thicker more (what my mother calls cottage cheese consitency) add more seeds or for a more creamy pudding add less seeds. Let sit for 5-10 minutes & that's it! Very tasty & refreshing dish. It reminds me a bit of a wheatena. Hope you enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chia Seed Pudding
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: September 21, 2007 01:51PM

what are chia seeds? do they have a diff name in UK?

Date: September 22, 2007 03:07AM

Hey rosemary, here's the discription from Natures first law:

Chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and fiber. The small, generally grayish seeds can be mixed in water or juice to make a refreshing beverage, sprinkled on cereal, eaten as a snack, or can be ground and mixed with flour and baked. The nut-like flavor is very pleasing.

Chia seeds are very similar to flax in composition but are easier to digest.

& here's what it says on the bag:

The forgotten food of the Aztecs - superrior to other plant and marine sources of omega-3, low in sodium, high in protein, lipids, fiber and antioxidants, fewer carbohydrates than most other grains, gluten free.

Ingredients: Chia (Salvia hispana) seed

I hered on these forums that this seed is the same one used to grow that chia pet!

Here's the chia seed website listed on the bag www.chiaseedandoil.com

Hope this info helps.

Date: September 22, 2007 03:51AM

Here's some more I just read over at the blindguru's website:

Chia Seed:

Was once valued so highly it was used as currency.

Possesses a hydrophillic property as it forms a mucilage absorbing twelve times its weight in water, prolongs hydration in the body and slows the absorption of nutrients.

Perhaps hydrophilic gelatinous colloids mediate virtually all element necessary for healthy cell functioning

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: September 25, 2007 11:06AM

thanks, I am gonna look out for it. I've had enough of flax seeds!

Date: September 25, 2007 11:58PM

Okay smiling smiley funny i just got an email from Pure food & wine, They are a vegan live food resturant here in New York City & this is what they sent me:

RECIPE
Carob and Chia
Breakfast Pudding

Concocting new breakfasts is a ritual for us in the Duck office. As hunger struck the other morning, we came up with this very simple yet tasty and nutritious pudding using our new carob powder. Naturally sweet, caffeine free and relatively low in calories, carob was the perfect ingredient for an energizing breakfast. As an added bonus, it also gave us calcium and potassium!

Serves 1
2 tablespoons of Carob Powder
2 tablespoons of Chia Seeds
2 tablespoons of Artisana Cashew Butter
1 packet of Stevia
8 oz of water

Mix everything in a blender till smooth and thick then pour into a bowl. We topped ours with our Cinnamon Crispies and raspberries! For a creamy dessert just add extra Cashew Butter or Artisana Coconut Butter and little agave nectar.

Did you know that chia seeds are the richest source of omega 3, are high in calcium, contain all essential amino acids, are easily digested and absorbed, cause a slow release of carbohydrates so are helpful in weight loss and controlling diabetes?

……and these are only some of the benefits of this ancient superfood.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2007 04:21AM

HELLO

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE ORGANIC CHIA SEEDS?(PREFERABLEY IN BULK). THE PLACE I USED TO PURCHSASE MY CHIA IS A MEXICAN GROCERY STORE AND THEY SOLD CHIA IN SMALL PLASTIC BAGS. BUT SOME TIMES I QUESTIONED THE QUALITY AND I NEVER KNEW IF THEY WERE GROWN ORGANICALLY.

VINCE

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 04, 2007 02:50PM

Vince,

The online sprouting store where I shop doesn't sell organic chia seed ( [www.sproutpeople.com] ), but a web search turns up quite a few places which do. Maybe someone here can suggest one that's reliable. The co-op market where I shop has a small selection of sprouting seeds, including organic chia, so I haven't had to look for an online source.

Posted by: bluejaunte ()
Date: October 05, 2007 04:01PM

Date: March 14, 2008 11:11PM

I get my chia seeds from www.thechiaseed.com, and they are certified organic. They come in 1.5 lb. bags, and you can also buy in larger quantities. Hope this helps smiling smiley

Date: March 06, 2009 09:58AM

I buy chia seeds from [allnutri.com] Docters recommended this site

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: March 14, 2009 06:14PM

Upshot,

I believe that you can purchase chia seeds through our site.
All of the foods which we sell are organic.
I am sure that you can purchase white chia seeds (salba) from the site.
The seeds are available in large and small quantities.

I hope that this helps.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables