Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

a halloween dish for a friend
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 10, 2007 10:11PM

hello! first of all - i read through the forum for some answers and you are a wonderful supportive group. kudos to you all.

one of my best friends has become a raw foodist in the last couple of months. unfortunatly, many of her friends and family are unsupportive. we are attending a halloween party this month at a semi-supportive home. i suspect they will provide crudites but not much else. i usually bring a couple of dishes (i'm a baker) to add to the table. i've adapted one recipe so her kids can eat it (they eat cooked food but are on very restricted diets), but would like to bring at least two treats she can eat. i'm already planning a "vampire blood soup" (raw tomato soup) but would also like to bring a sweet. preferably not pumpkin pie since she makes that already smiling smiley

so, any ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. maybe a cookie recipe? or something halloweenish? apple or pumpkin?

plus - is using my oven on low (100 degrees or so) okay? i don't have a dehydrator.

thank you, thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a halloween dish for a friend
Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 11, 2007 01:56PM

The RAWvolution "Come Bite the Apple Cookies" are contain apple, almond, raisins, agave nectar and cinnamon. They call for about 24 hours in a dehydrator, but a 100 degree oven should work. Does that sound good?

Also... if you aren't already, I'd suggest including a little beet juice in your vampire blood soup to give it a darker, bloodier look.

Date: October 11, 2007 02:58PM

[www.goneraw.com]

Mouthwatering Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients
-FOR THE CRUST-
2 Cups Pecans (unsoaked)
1 Cup Dates (Pitted, chopped)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Cacao or Cocoa Powder
Squirt Agave or Honey
-FOR THE FILLING-
3.5 Cups Cubed Pumpkin
1 Ripe Avocado (peeled, seedless)
1.5 Cups of Dates (pitted)
1/2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Touch of Agave or Honey

-FOR THE TOPPING-
1 Cup Almonds (soaked)
Water
Squirt Maple Syrup (or Agave or honey)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Preparation
CRUST: Combine the pecans, dates, cinnamon, cacao/cocoa powder and sweetener in your high tech blender (or food processor whichever you prefer). Press into a pie pan evenly and set in the fridge.

FILLING: Chop the diced pumpkin cubes in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer the pumpkin into your blender and add the avocado, coconut oil, chopped dates, pumpkin spice (about a teaspoon or less) & sweetener until thoroughly mixed. NOTE: Sorry I forgot to add the 1 tablespoon of Psyllium powder to the list. Add that as well. Pour into the pie pan over the crust. Sprinkle some cinnamon over top. Set in the fridge.

TOPPING – Optional: Blend the almonds, sweetener, vanilla and some water and control the consistency of the cream you want, more water for a thinner base or less for thicker. You can also add some cacao/cocoa powder to make a chcocolate version, but you will need a little more sweetener. I made 2 kinds as pictured, vanilla and chocolate. When complete, set in the fridge.

Everything should be ready within an hour, I like to let mine sit in the fridge for around 2 hours but anything works. If the pie crust breaks as you serve it, it’s normal lol, I seem to always break mine…

I hope you enjoy!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 11, 2007 03:07PM

Simple Spooky Slaw Recipe
Beautiful Halloween shades of purple, orange, and green await you in this simple slaw! It contains only fresh, raw ingredients, and is packed with complimentary flavors and textures. It is suitable for a side dish or even a healthy Halloween treat. This is also a great way to get kids who "don’t like vegetables" to load up their plates with carrots and cabbage!

Ingredients (organic whenever possible):

5 carrots, grated

2 C. red cabbage, shredded (which looks purple)
1 C. raisins (soak in water first if they are not very plump)
1/3 C. raw sunflower seeds
1/3 C. raw pumpkin seeds (aka: pepitas)
If you’ve got a food processor, you can use it for shredding and grating the veggies at warp speed, otherwise just do it by hand. Toss together salad ingredients before adding dressing:

3 Tbsp. maple syrup (grade A or cool smiley
3 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 Tbsp. ginger, fresh grated*
4 Tbsp. cold-pressed oil of your choice (olive, flax, hemp, walnut, etc.)
salt to taste
Dissolve the maple syrup in the lemon juice. Add remaining ingredients. Pour over salad and toss. Allow to marinate at least 15 minutes.

To serve, leave in large bowl for individual serving or pile tall mounds (as seen in pictures) on separate plates.

*Adjust ginger to your tastes. I usually use 1 Tbsp. powdered ginger which is too much for many people, but suits me fine. Stick to fresh ginger for a more subdued taste.

Suitable for: Vegan, Vegetarian, & Raw Food diets (use agave in place of maple for 100% raw)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 16, 2007 07:00PM

thank you everyone!

i'm gonna make the apple cookies, pumpkin cookies, and a raw fudge smiling smiley

yummy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables