Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you get use to...?
Posted by: wrenbrrd ()
Date: October 21, 2007 05:40PM

Eating certain veggies raw... the ones I'm thinking of are eggplant & sweet potatoes or yams & cabbage. I can't imagine eating them raw. Can someone share a story of getting used to them out of necessity & even winding up enjoying them this way? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you get use to...?
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 22, 2007 03:06AM

I'm afraid I don't eat any of those raw. Just lots of other veggies.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 22, 2007 05:52PM

Cabbage is nice and peppery raw. If you have ever been in the habit of eating cole slaw, it shouldn't be as unfamiliar to you as the other raw veggies you mentioned. I don't really find it interesting by itself, but raw vegan cole slaw can be really good, and if you like fermented foods sauerkraut or kimchi might suit your tastes (I prefer kimchi, myself).

I've made only one recipe so far with chopped raw sweet potato, and I found it a little bland. It was one of my first raw recipes and my tastes have changed enough to give it another try. When I finally get a high speed blender I'd like to try a raw sweet potato pie. (Maybe in time for Thanksgiving!)

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:17AM

I have eaten sweet potato/yam raw just sliced like it is. I also seasoned it a little (I honestly don't remember what I seasoned with probably Braggs adn chili powder) and dehydrated it and ate like chips. Those were good but I did that a while ago and have no desire to repeat. Then, I read that one should not eat sweet potatoes raw. I cannot remember why.

I don't know if this helps.

If you have not tried it, Zucchini is wonderful to eat raw - just slice into coins or sticks.

Patty

Posted by: wrenbrrd ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:41PM

Ah, I'd forgotten about sauerkraut & kimchi! Good idea, thank you!

I've never been one for coleslaw though.

I can't wait to get a dehydrator. Maybe I'll ask for one for my b-day... although that's five months away, & I'm anxious to really get going on this.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 24, 2007 09:56PM

Cabbage is great! Remember cole slaw? Well....just julienne your cabbage fine....and marinate with lemon/lime juice.....add a dash (or more) of fresh garlic....chop in some cilantro or oregano that you grew yourself.........grate in some carrot.....some cucumber slices......a little radish or sweet pepper for color and spice...if it's your thing. Top with fresh salsa and some raw sunflower seeds! Awesome!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: November 01, 2007 07:16PM

Cabbage- as above!!

Aubergine- fermented/pickled raw smiling smiley

..otherwise if you dont enjoy it raw, dont eat it! so much wonderful produce to try and enjoy smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables