Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw vegan burgers without dehydration?
Posted by: bracken ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:45PM

Would be greatful if anyone has any tasty recipes for burgers without dhydration, as cant afford dehydrator as yet.

Thanyou Ju

Re: Raw vegan burgers without dehydration?
Posted by: wrenbrrd ()
Date: October 24, 2007 05:24PM

I second that!

Posted by: noff ()
Date: October 24, 2007 07:07PM

yeah that would be awesome! Also, what about low fat ones and a great ketchup to put on them?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 24, 2007 09:54PM

You can always use one of the recipes....and just dehydrate in the sun. Or you can stick your burgers between two disposable paper air filers and bungee them to a fan....and air dry for 24 hours. Just a suggestion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: October 25, 2007 06:47AM

Dehydrating in sun wont work here at mo i'm in uk, raining all day, got no air filters either, cheers for the suggestions though!

Ju

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 25, 2007 09:46PM

Ju: You can improvise....if you have access to a cheap fan. Just poke a bunch of holes in some cardboard and do the same thing.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: October 27, 2007 06:42AM

Cheers David!

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 29, 2007 05:58PM

You could use agar agar to thicken a recipe. Yes it needs to be heated, boiled for 5 min in fact, but it has a ph of 8.5 and Ann Wigmore used it, so it can't be that bad.

I use agar to make "cheese" (to coax my kids into eating seeds), but you can see that the recipe isn't too different from a lot of burger recipes. I got the concept from the The Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak:
[www.amazon.com]
In her Swiss Cheeze recipe, she uses more agar and doesn't cool the agar before adding the rest of the ingredients, while I cook just the agar. All these measurments are just rough guesses so adjust them how you like them, you really can't screw the recipe up too badly since whatever you put into the agar water will thicken along with the agar.

Boil 1 c of water and add agar, I just shake it in but I think I use 2-3 Tbls. When it gets clearer, showing that it is absorbed, take it off the heat and add 1 c cold water to cool it down. I have some plastic ice cubes that I add to cool it down fast. I've never done it, but adding 1 c of water in the form of ice cubes would probably also work. When it is lukewarm add the rest of the ingredients.

While the agar and water are heating or cooling, run through your coffe grinder:
1/3 c sesame seeds
2/3 c cashews (gives it a fatty texture)
1/4 c brewers yeast (gives it a cheesy taste)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion flakes
1/2 tsp dill seeds (gives it a punch)
I also add a squirt of prepared mustard and maybe some lime juice.

Mix everything well, blending is great.

Pour into containers and refrigerate. It will slice like cheese and is great wrapped in nori.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2007 06:06PM by tropical.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: November 02, 2007 01:26PM

i use ground flax seeds and psyllium husks to thicken ground vegetables

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: November 04, 2007 02:30AM

I just tried this recipe at [www.goneraw.com]
It was very good but I did change some things and I cut the recipe in 1/3 and it madee plenty for 2....so here it is:

1 sweet onion, chopped
1 zuchinni, chopped
1 cup carrot pulp
¨÷ cup tahini
¨ù cup cilantro (i didnt put this in - didnt have any on hand)
¨÷ cup ground flax seed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup sunflower seeds
sea salt, to taste
1 teaspoon cayenne (i didnt put in)
1 lemon , juiced
garlic, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil

I dont have a food processor so i mixed it up by hand and put it in a container and shook it up - i think it would definatley work better in a food processor, though...lol. Then I put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes i think.
And then I made a lettuce sandwich/wrap thing. I put tomatoes, cucumbers, and spinach in it. OH yeah and I dipped it in some quacamole. I would say it was absolutely amazing smiling smiley

Date: November 04, 2007 07:14AM

Thanks alot all for your help, well appreciated!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 12, 2007 06:25PM

if u like a THICK wrap u could also try those HUMUNGOUS collard greens for wraps

it wraps really tightly without making everything fall apart in them

it is a really beautiful gorgeous rich deep green verdant color

and quite stury too

maybe go with the vegan athlete's recipe post

and put it in the nice collard green

and put the other dressings on it like tomato etc.

good luck bracken fern tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: dlj ()
Date: November 19, 2007 04:21AM

The book "The Thrive Diet" by Brendan Brazier has three recipes for raw burgers that do not require dehydration: Almond Flaxseed Burger, Walnut Hemp Burger, and Pecan Sunflower Burger. They do require a food processor. They are simple and don't require exotic ingredients.
David

Raw4Life

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 27, 2007 04:07AM

Tip: put the burgers (or whatever else you want dehydarated) in the frdige, uncovered. It will get dehydrated. Discovered that by accident.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: November 27, 2007 07:46AM

Hi there rawgosia, I am going to make a raw carrot cake today, will it work with that too do you think? How long do you think I should leave in the fridge for?

Cheers!

Thankyou everyone for your surggestions!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 28, 2007 10:15PM

I never tried dehydrating a carrot cake in the fridge before (I make mine withouth dehydrating, I prefer it that way). I did this with other recipes though (bread, sauce). And, some things got dehydrated without me wanting it lol! The process is slower than in the dehydrator. At least overnight, or more, on the top shelf.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Rawmichelle ()
Date: December 05, 2007 11:55PM

Hi David, do you think you may be able to post those 3 recipes for raw burgers not needing a dehydrator???

The book "The Thrive Diet" by Brendan Brazier has three recipes for raw burgers that do not require dehydration: Almond Flaxseed Burger, Walnut Hemp Burger, and Pecan Sunflower Burger. They do require a food processor. They are simple and don't require exotic ingredients.

I would really appreciate it very much!!! Thanks!
Rawmichelle

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: December 07, 2007 06:25PM

I got my first dehydrator from Fred Meyers for only $42 bucks. It worked. It was one of those round donut style, and they hold less food, and also you can only dehydrate one item at a time, because it blows down on the food and would mix flavors. But hey, for $42 bucks, it got a lot of use, and was successful in dehydrating everything I put in it. I recently upgrated to an excalibur, which I'm excited about. I passed the other dehydrater on, so it's still going, helping people have nutritious and delicious food!

Hey guys, some awesome recipes here. I'm anxious to try that cheese. Where do we buy agar?

Thanks,

KathyT

Posted by: rawbryan ()
Date: December 09, 2007 12:25AM

I have a very simple "ground beef" recipe and non of my recipes are dehydrated in RAW IN TEN MINUTES:

Sunflower seeds
Olive Oil
Olive Tapenade

Blend seeds in blender until almost poweder, mix in a bowl the other ingredients to taste. Quick, simple. I have an actual Sun Burger Recipe in my book the above "Ground Beef" is more for tacos, tostadas, etc...

Bryan Au
[www.RawInTen.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables