Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nut allergies..
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2008 04:09AM

I came here hoping that someone might have some words of advice. My husband is very allergic to tree nuts. There are a ton of raw food recipes I'd like to try, but can't because of almonds or cashews. Is there a good source (web or book) of recipes that doesn't depend so much on them. Or, can I use some sort of seed instead for something like seed cheese or in dehydrated sweets?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nut allergies..
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: February 15, 2008 06:11AM

I am allergic to nuts as well (almonds are fine, though). I've found that you can use any seed in place of nuts in recipes, though the flavour/texture may vary. Cashews, for example, blend up very smooth and creamy and mild, so if you sub sunflower seeds in their place, you'll end up with a grainier texture and more "earthy" flavour. Just experiment...if you've never tried the original nut-based recipe, you won't miss it anyway!

Date: February 16, 2008 01:19AM

Thank you. I have an abundance of sunflower seeds right now, so maybe I'll try some things out this weekend.

Date: February 16, 2008 06:41PM

My son is exprememly allergic to tree nuts and my husband is mildly - they can have almonds but not raw - but did you know that cashews are not nuts they are actually seeds - my husband has no problem with cashews (raw) my son, now is 9yrs, is too afraid of trying cashews (he had a very bad scarey reaction to tree nuts when he was around 4yrs old) stays away from nuts.

I have also been told that if the nuts are soaked they may be able to eat them - I haven't tried that out on my husband yet but I intend to so do. If anybody else has any info on tree nut allergies you info would be appreciated!!!!

Date: February 16, 2008 11:08PM

I'm very allergic to all nuts except almonds. Surprisingly, cashews are the most dangerous.

It can be tough to deal with the temptation on a raw diet to eat all of the fancy recipes with nuts in them. I either substitute with seeds or avoids nuts all together as it is coming increasingly difficult to source genuinely raw almonds. No big loss in my opinion. It helps keep down the fat intake in my diet.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: February 17, 2008 03:40PM

Weird...I knew about cashews not actually being nuts, but when I tried them soaked I reacted to them. Cross-contamination?

Date: March 07, 2008 12:25AM

The peanut works great for lots of things too :-)

I just wrote a song about it:

I love to eat peanut butter
Every day I spread the seed upon that stone ground wheat
Oh yes, it's just a little bit of oil
But, it gives this vehicle the energy efficiently

And if a day did pass in which there were no peanut butter
I'd find the last seed that I had plant it in the ground
And if a day comes where I don't get my peanut butter
Protein defficiency would settle in itself
The wonderous mystery stays hidden in the shell

PB & J let's all go make one today, hey hey hey!
George Washington Carver says that anything is possible so :ll

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:53PM

Cashews and peanuts are also very allergenic for a lot of people.

I think going with seeds is the best bet.

Posted by: kris5194 ()
Date: March 11, 2008 08:11PM

Here is a great recipe for raw "Tiny Dunkin' Doughnuts" using NO NUTS that is GREAT for those with nut alergies!! These are incredible... This recipe was created by the author of the all new raw book called "Shining Light RAW RECIPES for life" This book is available directly from the Schafer Family who have been 100% raw for 4 years. The recipes are all GLUTEN-FREE,NIGHTSHADE-FREE,and use more sunflower seeds than nuts,although the recipes often call for either nuts OR seeds...whichever you choose.Their recipes use very little oil,but they use whole foods like avocado or coconut instead.The Schafer Family currently travels around doing raw food lectures and sponsoring raw food dinners and demos to show others how FUN & EASY the raw food lifestyle can be!!For more questions about the recipe book,or to order,or if you would like to schedule the Schafer Family to do a lecture and/or raw dinner in your area, call 606-674-9782 or e-mail puritygardens@gmail.com

TINY DUNKIN'DOUGHNUTS

2 c. organic Turkish raisins
1/2 c. organic dried apricots
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1/4 tsp. celtic or Real Salt
1/2 tsp.nutmeg
3 c. raw dried coconut,ground coarsely(my favorite is the raw dried coconut from www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com)
1. Place dry coconut in your food processor and grind coarsely. Pour into bowl and set aside.
2. Next, place raisins,apricots,nutmeg,vanilla and salt in processor. Grind until it forms a sticky ball.Add ground coconut and mix in well.
3.To make doughnuts,take about 1/4 c. of the above mixture and form it into a ball.Holding it in your palm, press your index finger down through the center with a twisting motion to form a doughnut shape. Serve as is or dip in finely shredded dried coconut or frost with ICING.
ICING:
1 c. raisins,dates or dried currants
1/3 - 1/2 c. raw agave nectar
(depending on which fruit you use)
1/2 tsp.pure vanilla
Place in blender and blend until very smooth. Dip tops of doughnuts in icing and place on plate. These taste best if made several hours ahead or even a couple of days ahead because the flavors mingle nicely!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables