Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Recipe calls for nuts to be homogenized--Question
Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: February 25, 2008 02:44AM

Hello everyone,

I am trying a new recipe from the RawVolution cook book. It is for the nut loaf and directions say to use a homogenizer attachment. I don’t have one, so my question is, does it really matter? Will be so disappointed if so because I have already bought all the ingredients.

Oh, and I have the onion bread recipe in dehydrator right now. I just know it going to be sooooooo good!! Can’t wait. It has to be dehydrated for 24 hours, then you flip is and dehydrate for another 12 hrs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recipe calls for nuts to be homogenized--Question
Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 25, 2008 02:56PM

I haven't tried the recipe, but my guess is that you'd do okay to grind the soaked nuts in a food processor. The texture of the loaf might end up being different, or I could be wrong and the difference in texture would make the whole thing fall apart!

Re: Recipe calls for nuts to be homogenized--Question
Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: March 17, 2008 06:30PM

If the recipe is calling for the nuts in it to be homogenized, then the recipe's author wants you to run the nuts through a twin-screw juicer several times (3-4 usually) with the homogenizing plates installed..The homogenizing plates are also known as the smooth plates..

The resultant mixture is known as a nut butter, & will have a consistency very similar to commercial nut butters..Using a food processor will NOT achieve the same consistency..The nuts will always have a slightly gritty texture..

Because of the way that a food processor works, it is almost always necessary to add oil in order to allow the blades to finely chop the nuts into butter..Soaking the nuts usually reduces the amount of additional oil necessary to make the butter..

Much more heat is generated with the food processor than with a twin-screw juicer..Smooth nut butters CAN be made in a food processor, but will take much longer as the mixture will have to be allowed to cool off several times in order to proceed..Otherwise the nuts will climb in temperature above 110-120 degrees Fahrenheit & no longer be raw..

Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables