Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need a St. Patrick's Day Pie Recipe
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 14, 2008 08:48PM

Any ideas for a pie to bring to work for St. Patrick's Day? Something to knock 'em dead with to show them how good raw can be!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a St. Patrick's Day Pie Recipe
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 14, 2008 09:49PM

i like this one. i use dates or agave instead of the honey. and you could cover it with sliced kiwi to make it GREEN for st. patty's day!

[www.living-foods.com]

Date: March 14, 2008 09:59PM

Thank you! That looks great! If I can't convert the recipe below into a raw one, this could work! I like your idea of covering the top with kiwis!

I just found the recipe below and was wondering if there was a way to make it raw. I can make my own pie crust, and probably use ground almonds instead of cornstarch and nix the food coloring altogether. Can I substitute a small amount of agave for all that sugar???

FRESH KIWI PIE

12 med. kiwis, peeled
1 c. water
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. butter
1-2 drops green food coloring
9-inch baked pie shell

Cut 9 kiwis in half and blot with paper towel. Blend the remaining 3 kiwis with water in blender or processor. In a saucepan, combine blended kiwi mixture with cornstarch, sugar and salt. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add butter and food coloring. Arrange halved kiwis in pie shell. Pour glaze over kiwis, coating them well. Chill for several hours. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 10:00PM by Simple Living.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 15, 2008 02:00AM

Here's an idea: try making a pie with some sort of pudding-like (blended) filling and add a tbsp or two of spirulina to make it green! Use coconut, or any type of fruit, or both, and puree with the spirulina, then pour it into a pie crust. For Halloween, I blended some apples like that to make applesauce, then stirred in some peeled grapes ("eyeballs"winking smiley. It was a hit, even without a crust!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 15, 2008 08:56AM

Simple Living Wrote:
> I just found the recipe below and was wondering if
> there was a way to make it raw. I can make my own
> pie crust, and probably use ground almonds instead
> of cornstarch and nix the food coloring
> altogether. Can I substitute a small amount of
> agave for all that sugar???
>
>
> FRESH KIWI PIE
>
> 12 med. kiwis, peeled
> 1 c. water
> 3 tbsp. cornstarch
> 1 c. sugar
> Pinch of salt
> 1 tbsp. lemon juice
> 1 tsp. butter
> 1-2 drops green food coloring
> 9-inch baked pie shell
>
Hmmmm... lets break this down. you could blend soaked dates or use agave for the "sugar". you need a thickener of some kind... coconut butter might sub for the thickener and the butter, but not everyone likes coconut (i do, but i don't like pineapple, so go figure...) you could blend cashews instead. that sounds kind of good actually... the lemon juice is key,or you could make it more "key limey" by using, well, key limes!

speaking of key lime, this recipe sounds awesome: [www.derekandsara.com] and you could garnish it with kiwis. i like enchantress's idea about the added spirulina for the super scarey green!

Date: March 15, 2008 09:18AM

I like the IDEA of adding spirulina, but I can't imagine the taste it would bring out! LOL

speaking of key lime, this recipe sounds awesome: [www.derekandsara.com] and you could garnish it with kiwis.

We have a winner! This will go over like gangbusters! MinneSNOWtans LOVE key lime pie! MB, you're the greatest! And enchantress, it works out with your suggestion for a pudding-type filling. I may just add some spirulina to get a bit more of a green color, too!

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 15, 2008 02:32PM

The taste is actually not affected. I like the flavour of spirulina, but judging from the positive feedback the applesauce got, nobody else seemed to notice a difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables