Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Washing Produce
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 14, 2008 09:49PM

I don't like the Search feature on this site. Unless I'm a total idiot, I never find what I'm looking for. (Which is okay because I usually find a lot of other really interesting things!)

I tried to find threads or articles on the best way to wash our fruits and veggies to be sure they're free of anything cruddy, especially parasites and worms, but I couldn't find any.

How does everyone do it? Any homemade solutions you make or do you buy expensive veggie cleaners from health food stores? Water just doesn't seem to be enough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Washing Produce
Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 16, 2008 01:56AM

i just made a thred on that not too long ago...!

heres the link
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: March 16, 2008 04:32AM

Thank you, mira. I participated in that thread, myself. Unfortunately, it went off topic and the question was never really answered. Not to my satisfaction, anyway.

One person makes a suggestion and then the rest of the thread is debating that suggestion. No one spoke about actually washing their produce.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 16, 2008 03:15PM

you are absolutly right...

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 24, 2008 02:30AM

So, what do people use? What about the stuff you can buy in the store - called Veggie Wash? I know that there is a homemade recipe - vinegar and water? I would love some ideas too.

Date: March 24, 2008 07:23PM

That's what I'm wondering, veggiefreak. There has to be a homemade solution out there instead of having to buy those spendy, pre-bottled alternatives!

Date: March 25, 2008 03:55PM

On the website www.thedailygreen.com, I just read the following:

Don't wash your produce until just before preparing or serving. If it needs a good scrubbing with a vegetable brush, go for it. This will remove most of the dirt, insects, bacteria and some pesticide residue.

When washing your produce, do so with clean, cold water. There's no need to use veggie cleaners. Clean cold water works just fine. Plus you'll have one less product to buy (AMEN!) and one less package to throw in the recycle bin. When appropriate, immerse the produce in the water, drain and do it again if necessary. kep your faucet running at a minimum.

This is from an article called: 6 Ways To Guard Yourself Against Non-Organic Pesticides in Food. Very helpful read. --> [www.thedailygreen.com]

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 12:26AM

I think anything besides water is unnecessary. If the cleaners could kill bacteria (which they don't), they wouldn't be healthy for you.

Posted by: Walkern ()
Date: April 15, 2008 03:32PM

I personally don't care much about washing produce, I don't wash apples and cucumbers because I peel them. I don't wash cabbage because I don't eat outer leaves. I don't wash bananas, oranges , kiwis, mango, pineapples, avocado. I wash pretty much only tomates, grapes...

Posted by: mauiart ()
Date: May 05, 2008 01:10AM

Pesticides are applies in an oil base so that the rain doesn't wash them off consequently rinsing with water doesn't wash them off so I put a couple drops of natural dish soap from the health food store on a brush and scrub the veggies with cold water and rinse thouroughly. Wallahh, that's all those expensive veggie washes are but soap to cut the oily pesticide residues.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: May 05, 2008 04:57AM

what do you guys think about using hydrogen peroxide to wash your fruits?

I heard to use that on the news once.

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 07, 2008 02:50AM

I like the taste of dirt. Mmmm-hmmm. ;-)

Posted by: Haida ()
Date: May 13, 2008 09:47PM

I have been wondering about a solution to wash my non-organics with. I too have heard of the hydrogen peroxide but dont know a solution recipe. I have been using a sea salt and lemon juice solution so far, I may stick with that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 22, 2008 02:38AM

"like dissolves like," is a basic chemistry principle. because pesticdes (as mentioned earlier are in an oil base) water will not dissolve them.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 03, 2008 11:26PM

I tried a vegetable soap once and it was terrible. It was way too soapy and it was such a pain washing the suds off the greens. It was like dishsoap. Washing things like carrots, apples and celery are easy because you can scrub them. I've always been concerned with leafy greens. For me it's a turn off that so many people in the stores are touching them..who knows if they just went to the bathroom or something and didn't wash their hands..great way to get parasites. I've just been using Bragg's ACV dilluted in water and swish them around in it and then rinse them off. I use the ACV instead of the white because white is so acidic. I haven't found a better alternative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables